New Insert Owner Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptalexme

Oct 17, 2012
Hello all,

Well I finally got my new Century CW2900 insert installed and I am looking for some advice. I am worried about over firing and chimney fires and control as I have never burned with an EPA stove before. What should I do to control the fire if it begins to get out of control and/or a chimney fire happens?

Thanks for any tips!

Your not going to have a chimney fire if there is no creosote build up to catch ablaze.
Start with smaller fires, and experiment with the air control. Gradually work your way up till you feel comfortable with it.
Good, truly dry wood is the key to keeping creosote down to a minimum.
Also burning hot enough that it is not a smoldering mess.
Some of this just takes time and getting used to your insert.
If it gets hot, don't panic. Just cut the air all the way down, and it will calm itself in time.
It is normal to be apprehensive with a new insert or stove. You will build confidence with each use.
Take your time and go slow and smaller loads and build up to a full load.
Check your chimney about once a month during the first few months or season, to monitor any creosote build up.
You can always sweep or have it swept if you get a lot of build up in that time. And adjust your burning habits accordingly.

Dont:
throw water in the insert.
Try to carry a fire split through the house to take outside. Some have done this, I myself would leave it right where it is, in the enclosed insert.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I think Hogwildz gave some good advice. Start with smaller fires and work your way up. My stove doesn't burn well with too small a fire, so I'd recommend you start with something like 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire fire box stacked with smallish splits of dry hardwood. I'd place sone kidnling on top of the pile and a piece of fire starter in the kindling, light it and keep the door cracked for a few minutes. Close the door with the air wide open and let 'er burn. I don't think you'll get very hot with 1/4 load in a cold stove, but you'll get an idea of how the stove works. Repeat and gradually increase the amount of wood and the size of the splits and before long you'll know what you're doing.

+1 about the small fires. Its important to break in a new stove with 2 or 3 smaller fires, each increasing in intensity.
Also:
  • A new stove is going to smell as the paint cures. Open a window.
  • Be more concerned with 'clearance to combustibles' at this point ( a nod to FirefighterJake). Keep the presents/ tree far enough away
  • Loading your stove east/ west will probably not burn as hot as loading north south (if your splits and stove are sized to do that. I can only load N/S using shorts and uglies
  • Have a look at your chimney once in a while. Smoke at startup is ok, but not during the rest of the burn.
  • Clean your flue in a month. See how much 'coffee' comes out. A good indicator of how well you're doing.
  • Poke around in the 'new to burning' sticky threads at the top of the forum page
  • Relax and enjoy.
Gabe

Hello all,

Well I finally got my new Century CW2900 insert installed and I am looking for some advice. I am worried about over firing and chimney fires and control as I have never burned with an EPA stove before. What should I do to control the fire if it begins to get out of control and/or a chimney fire happens?

Thanks for any tips!

Over-firing: Others have offered good advice and I will echo their advice . . . start small and work your way up. Inserts may or may not have a good place for a thermo . . . get one in you can . . . or go with an infrared laser themo. This will give you some confidence as to whether that fire that looks "way too hot" is actually burning at the perfect temp, too cool or if it is in fact too hot.

Chimney fires: Best advice. Just avoid them. Burn seasoned wood. Burn at the proper temps. Don't allow your fires to smolder. Check your chimney frequently and clean when needed (about every 1/4 to 1/2 inch of build up . . . or you can do like me and sweep monthly to be wicked safe.) That said . . . if you have a chimney fire don't panic. Call 911. If you do a search you'll see many tips on how to extinguish a chimney fire ranging from dry chemical extinguishers, wet newspaper, ash, sand, etc.

What you really should worry about: Make sure your stove is installed right . . . develop good burning habits . . . dispose of your ash safely in a covered, metal pan outside on a non-combustible surface away from anything that can burn . . . oh yeah, you should also be worried about December 21st, clowns and whether your spouse actually bought you that sweater with the huge reindeer on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.