New insert purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemedic565

May 4, 2013
Illinois
Im in the market for a wood burning insert and am seeking information on which brand/unit to purchase. Our house is a 2300sq' ranch and the unit will be centrally located in the house. Size doesnt matter as we are going to be building the wall to the size of the insert we choose. It must be able to be in a non masonary wall. Id prefer a single door with large view of the fire. Im not very familliar with these inserts so any information or direction would be helpful. Catalytic vs non catalytic....ect. The insert will be used primarily for recreation with an added bonus of supplimental heat. We have looked at the Hampton HI300 which we really like. Price isnt really a issue. We live in central Illinois so temps arent too bad. Thank you for your help!!

Welcome to the forums !!

Explain, please, non masonary wall. Or, pics. Floor plan, etc.

We are extending our existing living room wall outward by 12'. It will be 2x6 wood frame construction. I think they are called zero clearance inserts but im not forsure. The kitchen will be open to the living room and dimensions will be approx 33x32 with the office and master bedroom off of one end and 2 other bedrooms off of the other side. The house is very open and I feel this insert will bleed heat into all rooms due to its central location. The living room and master bedroom celings are vaulted.

I guess what im saying is that we do not have a current masonary fireplace that we can slide a unit into. We will frame in whatever size we need for the unit we decide on. I believe they use class "A" pipe to go up the inside of the wall to vent the unit.

Well I was gonna g o for the i300, till my wife found the montpelier, we got the upgraded surround in enamel brown, it looks totally awesome and I am very happy with what I have, if you compare them both, i300 numbers seem higher with the btu, but in a sense, they are both medium sized inserts, which are only capable of doing so much with their heating capacity, meaning, both are not house heaters. Which brings up a point that you said,you want supplemental heat and the view, both will give you that. I went with the montpelier because it has a bigger glass viewing area, 280 sq in. I was with my 10 yr old sweetie daughter hanging by the fire and watching tv, she says that the flame look like they are coming out of the glass. The montpelier really gives off a great show. I300 probably does too but I can't vouch for it, also there is no lines in the glass that would take away from the view. All I'm saying is that if you like the i300, then check out the montpelier before you make a purchase. People are saying VC will or is being sold, some negativity, but I'm happy with mine, I got it in the end of January and its been fired up 4-5 days a week till the warmer weather kicked in.... Anyways good luck....

If you want to heat your home, go with a free standing stove. If you want to spend a bunch of money for no reason, by all means design a new wall around an insert/ZC fireplace.

If you want to heat your home, go with a free standing stove. If you want to spend a bunch of money for no reason, by all means design a new wall around an insert/ZC fireplace.
No reason? I guess you just don't understand................

Thanks for the responses. I agree the freestanding unit would probably heat better but it wouldnt look correct in our layout. What are your opinions on the cold air intake option? Ive been to 2 different fireplace stores and got 2 different answers. It may sound weird but we are designing this addition around whatever fireplace we choose. $3400 sound correct for the HI300?

Thanks for the responses. I agree the freestanding unit would probably heat better but it wouldnt look correct in our layout. What are your opinions on the cold air intake option? Ive been to 2 different fireplace stores and got 2 different answers. It may sound weird but we are designing this addition around whatever fireplace we choose. $3400 sound correct for the HI300?
Yes, I paid 4000 for the montpelier installed and the hampton was right around that price to be installed .......
It was definitely alittle cheaper. I had to anti up to get the montpelier.....

image.jpg image.jpg

Another good option is the Buck stove model 80 ZC

Im going to check it out thanks!!

Don't waste your time. The Montpelier is also for an existing fireplace.

You can't just frame a wall around any insert you want. You would have to build a fireplace first, which would be pretty silly.

You need a high efficiency zero clearance fireplace. They are made to be framed into a wall, and then you can build whatever kind of surround and hearth that you want. They can be catalytic or non, or a hybrid using both technologies.

Maybe a moderator will change the thread title for you. It's probably confusing to those who don't read the original post.

Reactions: wazzu
I know that the HI300 has 2 instilation options "how to install in masonary fireplace" and "how to install into a existing factory built fireplace". I went to a local fireplace store 2 days ago and this unit is what they reccomended. Please explain why this unit cant be installed in a non masonary situation.

As the HI300 manual states, "Inserts" are designed to be installed into some type of existing fireplace. The insert needs the insulation and non-combustible surrounding of the fireplace to make it safe. Some can only be installed in masonry fireplaces, others can be installed in either masonry or pre-fabricated/zero clearance fireplaces. Since you have neither you do not want an insert. You do want a high efficiency pre-fabricated unit. It has all the insulation and non-combustible components to prevent the wood framing and other combustible materials around it from catching fire. If you really like the look of an insert you can install a fireplace and then put an insert inside.

I am sure if you look at the available factory built/pre-fab units you will find something you will like. Just google image "factory built fireplaces wood burning" to see some examples...

KaptJaq

Can you give me some examples of zero clearance units that will work for our situation? It is not out of the question to line the new chase with whatever non combustable material would be required to use an insert, is it? The wall is an exterior wall and can be framed however we need it to be.

Look at the image below. It shows all of the components of a factory built zero clearance unit. Since you are starting from scratch you can use just about any pre-fab/zero clearance unit. Once you see what is involved you can start looking at units based on heating requirements and appearance.

prefab.gif
(Click image for full size)

KaptJaq

Inserts are great, but this is not the right application for one. As others have said, go with a high efficiency fireplace. This is the kind of unit you would build around. Inserts slip into existing fireplace. You don't have an existing fireplace.

If you go with one of those inserts like the Regency (and some from Travis also can be used) that can be installed in a zero clearance fireplace, you'll have to get both the insert and the ZC fireplace.

Buck Model 80 explanation from website:

Our Model 80 ZC is perfect for your new construction or remodeling project. The Model 80 ZC will save the expense of a masonry fireplace while enjoying all the warmth and efficiency of a Buck Stove. Model 80 ZC Catalytic unit features a factory installed variable speed blower and ash pan as standard equipment

It is not out of the question to line the new chase with whatever non combustable material would be required to use an insert, is it?

YES, it is out of the question. Lining the chase will not be sufficient, to use an "insert" you need an existing fireplace. There are many zc factory built fireplaces to choose from. Stop by a stove shop, tell them you are starting from scratch, you have no fireplace, and let them explain what you need to do.

KaptJaq

Thank you for all of the responses!! I have alot of homework to do it looks like. There arent alot of stove shops around us so thats what is making this project a little tougher. Ill get it figured out and let you know what we decide to get. As you can tell the fireplace is one of the main reasons we are doing the addition!! We have a gas unit now and I cant stand it and dont like its location in the house!! My neighbor has a Jotul insert and I really like it! Who knows maybe we'll pick a fireplace and have whatever we need built to accept the unit. That sounds like it may work better??.. Who knows!!

We went to a fireplaced store yesterday and explained what we want to do and were advised that we could several different units. Lennox Monticeto, Monticeto Estate, Hearthstone Clydesdale, a BIS unit and a few from Pacific Energy. Those are just the units that this store carried. I assume there are many more. Surely in new constructiuon every fireplace option doesnt require a masonary firebox/chimney. The sales rep told us most units require a 2" clearance and they line the inside of the chase with concrete board. Most require class a pipe which can be in a chase, if I understood him correctly.

Mine was done this way. It requires Class A pipe. I opted for a free standing stove in a alcove that looks like a real fireplace, but there are still clearance requirements. For mine It was a non issue because it is on a concrete wall that I framed out with metal studs and concrete board so no combustibles.

Have you thought about a free standing stove in a alcove? You would get more heat, and more choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.