New insert questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Hello,new guy here. Have a question or two and hope this is the right place to post this. Just recently bought a new home and had a Buck model 91 installed along with the a S.S. liner and all the goodies...The first two days were spent breaking it and it and the 3rd night I thought I would see how the thing really worked. Well, I was not disappointed. It about burned me up. (That's a good thing..) Anyway, my question is, is the baffle supposed to grow bright red? Even after the fire went out, there were sudden flashes of flames coming out of the baffle. I am guessing it was burning unburnt gases from the wood. Is this correct?

The house is 1850 sgft with a full basement, with carpet and heat vebts. Since I live alone I am not to worried about the heat downstairs.``

Many thanks in advance and I am so glad I found this forume..

Thanks again

Yes the secondaries can glow red- anything else glowing red is bad! You are correct that the sudden burst of flames is the gases burning in the secondaries happens all the time in my insert

You're good to go, enjoy.

The Buck 91 one is a big honkin cat stove. The red is gases burning in the catalyst. Like it is supposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.