new insert vs. new fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
first time poster, very new to fireplaces, so please excuse my errors/lack of knowledge/too many questions.

we have a 1979 home, daylight basement (kitchen, living, and 3 bedrooms and 2 baths on main floor; living space, bedroom, bathroom and garage on the basement level) - 2200SF total. there is currently a ZC insert in the main floor living room. brick to brick measurements are approximately 39"w, 31"h, 19" deep.

i've talked to 3 local fireplace installers in the seattle area over the past few days. the consensus seems to be that we can likely do a "medium" size insert and that would be our most logical choice for an upgrade.

my concern is that an insert will do little to heat the whole house (we have electric furnace with a heatpump - both seem to work well, and cheaply, to heat the main floor of the house in winter). i'm curious about air circulation (much like this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/moving-the-heat-around-the-house.146453/) and whether an insert is the best choice or if we should be looking at the full meal deal and demoing the existing hearth and replacing the whole fireplace with a larger unit that can be ducted directly to the basement.

any opinions on this? what do you think typical costs would be for building a new hearth (we're more traditional and like the look of the existing brick one, so i could see something very similar to that, if not exactly the same)?

it seems like there are many options to get the air to circulate through the house:
-positive pressure with a cracked open window
-ducting
-blower
-wall fans
-using the furnace circulating air function

so, how does one reliably estimate which method will actually work best for their house? we have a decently insulated structure, for its age, and are working on replacing exterior doors and adding closed-cell-foam insulation to the basement. attic has plenty of insulation and windows are all new.

costs do matter to us. we're not poor, but we're not rich. $3600 for the furnish/install price for the medium insert is very reasonable. however, for the full fireplace, it sounds like $5700 for just the fireplace + ??? for the new hearth. i'm concern it could get spendy. i'm generally handy and am self-performing 95% of the remodel stuff in the house (full house), but i am leery about trying to do a hearth since that seems highly specialized with codes and things that could go seriously wrong if you use an incorrect method of construction.

thanks. sorry about the rambling!
Downstairs.png exterior.jpg fireplace.jpg Upstairs.png

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the make and model of the existing fire place? and has it had a complete inspection including pulling off the chase cover to check the condition and install of the chimney?

no one has checked the condition of the install and chimney. i do not see a make or model number, unfortunately.

one of the chimney company reps came by the house last night. he sized it for a small flush wood hybrid fyre insert from fireplace x. all other units were deemed too big --- just barely for some of them. he did not seem to indicate there would be issues with the condition of the existing components.

Look on the inside of the door frame for a make and model tag.

no one has checked the condition of the install and chimney. i do not see a make or model number, unfortunately.
Condition and install absolutly needs to be checked before installing anything in there. Also you should really find the make and model to see if the fireplace allows for an insert to be installed in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.