New install - 3" or 4" pipe needed here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklow

Sep 4, 2008
North-central CT
Long time wood burner but a newbie to the pellet world. Putting in a pellet stove which will replace an existing wood burner. It will go on the same hearth and vent into an existing class A chimney which is in good shape and exits horizontally five feet up a bricked wall to outside. Chimney run outside the house is another ten feet vertical. So pellet pipe tee from back of stove and up approx. four feet to a 90 degree elbow and then junctioned with proper adapter to six inch class A. I do not plan to extend into the class A beyond this point.

Question is can I use three inch pipe for this run to the class A or does this require a transition to four inch? I have looked at information on the calculation of EVL but I am not certain of the answer to this. I assume that the tee counts for a 90 degree, and the pipe to adapter is another 90. Does the short horizontal run and up to the six inch class A chimney count as a third 90? The resistance to flow of the class A is much less than P vent. Can I save some cash and make this work with three inch pipe or do I need to spend a bit more on four inch.

Thank both of you for your replies. Unless someone convinces me different I'm going with the 3".

Status
Not open for further replies.