New install Lopi AGP insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lagger

Feeling the Heat
Apr 2, 2014
Bloomingburg NY
The install was yesterday but not completed as my zero clearance FP has a non standard pipe \ flue and a 90 deg Stainless Steel bend is needed off of the exhaust to properly join witht the 3" flexi chimney liner and this had to be ordered. My question is this, the owner of the shop is not going to hook the insert up to the existing OAK citing as a reason that it complicates the annual pull out and service to the point of being a nightmare. It is claimed by the same that the insert is just as efficient without it. The house is modern, tight and well insulated I would like seasoned users opinions here as I am new to all of this. The area to be heated is a open floor plan kitchen dining area and LR with a vaulted ceiling.. there is a hallway with a bathroom and 3 bedrooms also on this floor, total s ft for the area is 1600sq ft

stock photo of the insert

108353.jpg

First,the stove vents out the top,should not need a 90.Second,with your house design and build you should hook up oak.Third as the stove comes with a quick dissconnect setup,unhooks flue and oak at same time,what he says makes no sense.Make sure he seals the flue area,you do not want cold air coming down and in behind stove.

Thanks for the reply. The exhaust on this stove as well as the oak inlet are both on the far right hand side of the insert, my particular prefab, zero clearance FP does not have the more common dome above the flue and instead is much lower in the space, which is why the 90 degree joint is needed otherwse the bend required for the flexi SS liner is too severe. I am at a loss as to the oak as there was already one installed for the FP. I was told this will be sealed up .. The flue and cap will all be sealed as required. The firm I bought this from is very reputable and in business for 30 years and if, as you say on this insert the whole intake and exhaust comes off as a piece I can not understand why not use the existing oak. I also wonder at the claim the insert is as efficient without one

Status
Not open for further replies.