1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New Install Magnehelic Reading

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Woody1911a1, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    I just installed my new Vistaflame VF100 insert this morning :) Fired her up and seems to work great . the manual states to warm the stove up and then run it on high for another 20 mins . set the first stop collar on the damper rod for .12 WC . then run the stove on low for another 20 mins and set the other stop coller for .10 WC .

Doing so the lowest readings i can get to are .40 high / .38 low damper fully open (assuming fully open since i can't actually see it but the rod is fully out ) .

I'm using fireside ultras , haven't yet played with or ordered any yet just using what HD had .

Install is standard 3" T , 12' of flex relatively straight up to this cap http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/pic.php?pic=quickCap-lg.jpg&cap=Round Rain Cap&hgt=300 and i'm thinking that maybe it might be too restrictive ? in person it looks like it's got a reasonable amount of flow area but ....

also cold stove and cooled stove reads .60 .

i've got pics of the stove running on high and meter reading but the upload file is NOT working !!!!!

Thanx in advance , Greg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Check the damper connections to see if the rod is actually connected to the damper. Close the damper way down and retry. Dampers shouldn't need to be open all that much and is the unit OAKed?
  3. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    yes definately connected . i haven't put the surround on the stove/insert yet so i can see it .

damn the upload function still isn't working (not just me either , didn't work for Daksy yesterday ) you'd see my flames and meter readings . pushing the rod in raises readings .

flames look nice and hot and lively .

Thanx , Greg

OT how do i create a sig like everyone has listing stove and pellet info? not familiar with this forum setup .
  4. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    ok lets try it this way ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Up in the upper right hand portion of this thread you should see your handle, move your cursor over it there will be a drop down panel in the left portion of that drop down there is a signature link, happy clicking.
  6. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    Many thanx Smokey :)
  7. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    You are measuring from the vac line yes? Not the correct place. You want a firebox reading. There is a 1/8 hole in the center of the front, behind the door and just under the lip of the opening. There is a screw theaded through there on newer models. You need to measure through that hole. Use the copper fitting of a gas thermocouple to get in there.
  8. Woody1911a1

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    Bingo awesome , many thanx to both you and Smokey :)

while I was waiting for Ace Hardware to open I came up with a solution .

i found that a needle from a flavor injector was just the right diam to fit that little hole :

[​IMG]

then i ground off the tip and wrapped it with flue tape about 3/16" back from the tip

[​IMG]

and voila

[​IMG]

Many Thanx again , Greg