New install of Napoleon NPS40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerico54

Sep 29, 2008
Northern Maine
Well it's finally installed. Our very first pellet stove. We decided to go with a Napoleon NPS40. Nice stove, easy controls and puts out some good heat. Hopefully I got the picture to work with this entry. Anyway, I only have one ton in the garage with another two on order so I don't quite qualify for PP status, but I'm working on it.

Attachments

• 100_0338-1.JPG
    100_0338-1.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 592
A good looking stove for sure.
I do have to wonder just how clean all that glass is going to stay but then I guess most stove glass is bound to get dirty after a while.
I hope you have a long and trouble free experience with your new stove.

We actually had the stove installed last week, it took me this long to get a picture. The glass stays clean for at least two to three days, then a simple wipe and we're going again.

Your installation looks great! Others have mentioned having to drill out a larger hole in the burnpot for the ignitor on the NPS40. Did you have to do that?

I hope to install mine this weekend and don't know what the diameter of that hole is supposed to be. Thanks.

Pretty!

Very nice stove and install. Enjoy the heat, and let us know when you get the rest of your pellets.....

Oh, and BTW, I can see your powerplug, but don't see a surge protector on it....don't wait too long to get one....the electronics on these stove don't like voltage spikes.

This one was the one I got, and after much discussion in another thread, even though it's very inexpensive it ended up being a pretty nice unit....and has a $50,000 replacement warranty.

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2454735&cp;

Nice! That is a lot of glass, gives a great view of the flames.

Cheers

Kenny

I have the same model. So far, very pleased with the unit. I am heating a raised ranch with a split foyer. 28 x 40 My stove in in the center of the bottom floor, family room. I run the auger on 4, fan on 4 and draft on 3-4, Now burning about one bag daily. whole home is staying about 72-76 Tower fan on bottom of stairwell blowing air toward the stove and a doorway fan at the top of the door blowing into the 16 foot foyer. Lg ceiling fan on top set on low.
My glass gets dirty about every other day. But it cleans right up when I shut the stove down for about 3 hrs to cool it, then clean out everything. Did have a log set in it, but found that was not all that impressive, and did cause more ash to build up on them and make the glass more dirty.
You can get an extension for the pellet hopper, I am very pleased with mine. It makes filling it so much easier. You don't have to wait to add a whole bag to what was left and forget about it.
My daughter has the fireplace insert version of the same stove. She is very pleased. My brother was so impressed, he is now selling these units.
For a while, some of the units did have a burn pot that did have to have the hole drilled larger. With the smaller hole, it had a hard time starting up. Also some came with a lid to the burnpot that had a whole in the center. Nepoleon stopped including that when they found the stove ran more dirty. If you go on Youtube. and type in Napoleon, you can find 3 small videos that has a good explaination on the design of the stove.
I've tried 4 different brands of pellets and found very little differences in performance. With this stove, it seems to be how you are running it that makes the difference.
Hope you find this unit to be what you anticipated.

Has anyone else had a problem with starting their NPS40? It often takes more than one 15-minute cycle for me to get the igniter to light the pellets and I'm wondering whether the igniter needs to be adjusted to a stronger initial setting. If so, how do I accomplish this - it's not addressed in the manual. I've tried numerous initial pellet feed and air settings, to no avail. I have another stove (Baby Countryside) and it lights within 5 minutes every time.

save$

So are you saying your Napoleon does not have the small ring around the top of the burn pot? I have it and it has vanes on it that I think help with the Vortex effect as it was designed to swirl the combustion. Mine burns very well with no clinkers and all of the fly ash goes outside the pot. I'm amazed at how low it can burn with just a few pellets in there. I have not tried burning without the ring, maybe I'll give it a try.

Craig

The igniter hole is supposed to be 5/16" in diameter. I have the insert version and hod to open the hole just a little. It made the whole difference in lighting. I am not getting the ehat I hoped for nor is my glass staying as clean as the others, but I am having problems with the pellets I bought. They are Athens and they burn VERY dirty. The burn pot chocks itself out with ash at least twice and per bag. It will run about 14 hours on 4/4 before this happens, but it starts to burn lazy and dirty way before that. I burned one bag of Homewood pellets out of Canada and they pot had almost no ash in it, niether did the stove for that matter, after burning the entire bag. I really screwed up on the pellet thing it looks like...

Craig
My brother started selling these stoves after I had mine in. I noticed that new shipments didn't have the ring on the burn pot. At first I thought they were being shipped without incomplete. My brother checked with the distributor and was told that they no longer where using the ring. So, I wrote to Napoleon and received an e-mail back that they had discontinued using the ring because it made the stove run more dirty. Not related to your comment, but to one earlier, some of the stoves came in with problems getting the burn pot to stay lit. A company rep. visited my brothers store and told him that the hold was too small. Just drill it out a little larger and it will be fine. He did, and it was fine. But there are some shipments of stoves that have the smaller hole and some folks being frustrated trying to get their units to work. Another point with running the Napoleon, consider running the damper more open. You will get a shorter flame, but more intense heat resulting in a hotter burn and far less ash accumulating in the burn pot. I am using one of those electronic meat thermometers to ck the outcome of variances in settings and pellet's. Example. on 3/3/3 I get 156 degrees. On 4/4/4 I get 210 degrees. Using the thermometer and monitoring the conditions sure gives you the facts.

by they way, put the thermometer probe in one one of the tube openings at the top front of the the stove.

Thanks for the suggestion of the surge protector, will take care of that. I did not have to drill out the hole. I believe that Napoleon has take care of the problem. The stove lights easy and throws off good heat. I'd buy another one.

jerico54 said:
Thanks for the suggestion of the surge protector, will take care of that. I did not have to drill out the hole. I believe that Napoleon has take care of the problem. The stove lights easy and throws off good heat. I'd buy another one.

Are you burning Ashland pellets, if so how are they.

I started with Energex and was very happy with the way it burned. I then tried a bag of the Ashland pellets. I had to increase the settings on the stove, both feed and air, to get the same amount of heat that I had with the Energex. I quickly went back to Energex.

Thanks for the answer on the hole diameter. Luckily mine was shipped with the right size hole and lit up no prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.