New install PE Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jigger47

Feb 3, 2014
Got my new PE Super 27 heritage model installed today. New excel chimney. It's a basement install chimney runs outside. Here are some photos of the install. Took cornflakes idea and used 1/4 steel plate for the hearth pad. I like the look but the steel shop did a horrible job on the painting. I thought I would get a professional paint booth finish on the pad and it is anything but that. I'll be bringing it back this summer and getting the normal ( not night shift crew) to re paint it. Aside from that the install guys were fabulous. I'm just going though the curing process I thought that wasn't to bad 45 min at 400 f no smoke alarms. Then I cranked it up to 600 f and the smoke alarm went off. Not something your family wants to hear at 1130pm on a new stove install. Open the windows and put the fans back on the wind sill. I did have a bit of an issue on my initial start up. The chimney was
Cold -15c ( 5f) outside. I had major back puffing or back draft whatever it's called. Smoke was bellowing out of the stove. I initialling though the ash pan gate wasn't sealed right then I recalled this happening with my old stove. It's been 2 years since I ran a stove. I was able to heat up the fire box enough and get the draft pulling I used a fan in front of the stove seemed to work. Next time I do a cold start I'll heat up the firebox with my heat gun. Any other suggestion would be appreciated
b9cdf276d0a5356fa17066188fbaf6a2.jpg
064d22c95c797c641ead02f551c56487.jpg
bfb98511d21e57f3464aa96a61bf243d.jpg
9529ab2c0edce4fe79c8cfccb373eff7.jpg
ba2d2c839254264c28f425ad1fc8c2db.jpg

Welcome Jigger. Where are you located? Its -19 c here and we are warm inside our 2600 sq ft house despite the storm raging outside. My set up looks like yours. I wish I had stayed away from the ash pan as its a pita. Ive since shimmed it closed and packed it full of ash. How far from dry wall was it installed, 4 inches? What was your last stove? Since you have had it installed Im sure you know that this is a good stove with long burn times for a non cat. Enjoy!

Welcome Jigger. Where are you located? Its -19 c here and we are warm inside our 2600 sq ft house despite the storm raging outside. My set up looks like yours. I wish I had stayed away from the ash pan as its a pita. Ive since shimmed it closed and packed it full of ash. How far from dry wall was it installed, 4 inches? What was your last stove? Since you have had it installed Im sure you know that this is a good stove with long burn times for a non cat. Enjoy!

I'm not sure why but my iPad shows a completely different video. Some graffiti artist video from Vimeo. Weird. I checked it on my phone and the burning video shows. That aside I'm on the north shore of lake superior. Just east of Thunder Bay. Where you from? It's been cold the last couple of days. Warming up and getting 10-15 cm of snow tonight and tomorrow. My house is 2200 square foot finished insulated basement. It's 4" and a bit from the dry wall. The last stove was a smoke dragon Elmira fire view 1200 8" flue and heavy beast. Threw a lot of heat but short burn cycles. We were also looking at the neo 2.5 but decide to go with the proven firebox design. Do you run the stove with the air completely shut down once it gets going? I'm burning well seasoned birch. The smoke into the house was a negative pressure thing happen before wit the old stove. I will try a couple of tricks I've read online here and see if it will help.

We are in the Rockies in south eastern BC. My stove clearance is 4 inches as well. Our basement is half below grade and is fully finished with the stove in our rec room. Downstairs comprises of our rec room, office, laundry room, 3 piece bathroom, daughters bedroom, spare bedroom and office. Its colder downstairs in July and August then it is during our winters! I use my IR always and yes I turn it down on almost every occasion otherwise I reach temps that arent safe for the stove. These stoves run hot and can get over 750 stove top at the collar even with the air turned down. I love Birch and have a bit of it but burn mostly Lodgepole pine during the day and then Larch and a small amount of Birch for my overnight burns. Larch is almost the same as Birch but without the rot factor. The top down fire is awesome for getting a quick flue temp especially during mild weather. At -15 c you shouldnt have draft issues but are likely experiencing break in stove issues. Each higher temp will result in some smoke and fumes in the house.

Hey man, looks great! The pad turned out nice! I think every stove with an 'ember protection only' should be using plate steel! Funny, a guy call me this afternoon to ask where I got my pad. My chimney installer gave him my number after he showed his client some photos of my install.

Glad it all worked out for you!

Will do in the city right now will take some tonight. (Kids are swimming and gymnastics class). So I'm sitting here reading forums. So first overnight burn a success. Didn't fill stove completely full as still taking it easy but I was able to wake up to a bed of coals and 200f stove top temp. Easy to restart 3 medium splits and cut it back down as soon as the temps hit 400 f. Checked about 30 minutes later temps slowly climbing to 475 f and rising.

Nicely done, that is a sweet setup. You are going to love that stove. It almost runs itself.

Reactions: Nelson
Ditto on the hot runner. Even with what I consider an early air shut down, it likes to take that early stage burn to 700ish before mellowing out. But like Begreen says, "almost runs itself." Get that blackening part done for a few minutes, close down the air all the way, leave it alone till reload. Maybe an air blast to cook off the coals a little bit first.

Nice stove i looked at the super 27 steptop with legs but ended up getting the ennviro kodiak 1700 at $1200.00 justt couldnt turn it down
IMG_0399.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple of photos of chimney install. The smoke was a result of cutting it back to quick before I went outside to shovel. I came back in and very little flame so opened up the air and she is cruising again. I put 3 splits this morning. it ran for 8 1/2 hours bed of coals stove top 220f. NG furnace was on but not to concerned at this point. Still braking in and my blower is on back order so moving with fans. One in corner opposition wall of stove pointing towards stove. One at top of stairs pointed down stairs. 28c (84f) basement and 21c (72f) upstairs. Likely 19c (67f) in back room which is great for sleeping.
1c093c2e2a1e3cf17dd7b807e8a9a5e5.jpg
1ed20e8160ba9b3827120b5f5585b9dc.jpg
37902430d7182f32e56c42cd6f348abc.jpg
302911ad3b51721b87e748ea807b84c8.jpg

Here's the new kidco gate I bought and a couple of galvanized buckets to hold wood.

7dbfdc7707b806c41c57aed5ba5dfdaf.jpg

Last edited:
So a little update on the stove. I've been burning pretty much non stop for the last 2 weeks. Thanks to Seanm. I was having a little issue getting the stove top temps up. I discovered I was shutting down the air to soon. Now I let it get to 450 and start shutting it down. I was worried about having to stove temps shoot up to far. Now the learning curve is done this stove is really easy to use. Only did one restart this morning everything else was from coals. Tried the top down method worked well. I'm still amazed at how little ash and smoke is produced. I'm guessing this might have more to do with the wood being well seasoned.

Reactions: Seanm
Somebody flattened yer stove kinda badly.

So a little update on the stove. I've been burning pretty much non stop for the last 2 weeks. Thanks to Seanm. I was having a little issue getting the stove top temps up. I discovered I was shutting down the air to soon. Now I let it get to 450 and start shutting it down. I was worried about having to stove temps shoot up to far. Now the learning curve is done this stove is really easy to use. Only did one restart this morning everything else was from coals. Tried the top down method worked well. I'm still amazed at how little ash and smoke is produced. I'm guessing this might have more to do with the wood being well seasoned.

This is pretty much what i do and then shut it down in stages from there: to half and let it recover and build again for 7-10 minutes, down to the "L" and recover and get strong again and then knock it right down or leave it open a hair. If you turn it down and your waiting for it to recover and it's not happening, just open it up to the previous stage you were at and repeat again. What your burning makes a difference too - a full load of good dry hardwood filled to the tubes equals 45 minutes to an hour before you can leave it unattended. Once you get really used to your whole system and your draft you will be able to tell what needs to be done depending on the wood your burning (which changes from year to year -both type and dryness).

It's a great stove and if you load in cycles you will be amazed at the burn times. 10hrs is really easy to get and many times I'm burning coals down in the morning before a reload (again this depends on the wood). Enjoy!

Ohh and I just posted in another thread about how I use the ash dump system...personally I really like it. thats here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ut-your-stove-ashes.59457/page-2#post-1838637

We are in the Rockies in south eastern BC. My stove clearance is 4 inches as well. Our basement is half below grade and is fully finished with the stove in our rec room. Downstairs comprises of our rec room, office, laundry room, 3 piece bathroom, daughters bedroom, spare bedroom and office. Its colder downstairs in July and August then it is during our winters! I use my IR always and yes I turn it down on almost every occasion otherwise I reach temps that arent safe for the stove. These stoves run hot and can get over 750 stove top at the collar even with the air turned down. I love Birch and have a bit of it but burn mostly Lodgepole pine during the day and then Larch and a small amount of Birch for my overnight burns. Larch is almost the same as Birch but without the rot factor. The top down fire is awesome for getting a quick flue temp especially during mild weather. At -15 c you shouldnt have draft issues but are likely experiencing break in stove issues. Each higher temp will result in some smoke and fumes in the house.

I have a PE Summit Insert. The first 3-4 fires were a PITA - I believe the firebrick needs to dry out and that's why the first few fires aren't what you are expecting. However, once I got through the initial few fires, I was up and running in no time and cranking the heat. Be patient and I think you'll find that things will improve with each subsequent fire.

Great looking stove!

**EDIT** Replied before reading the rest of the thread. Sounds like you have it under control. I have found that species and dryness of the wood makes a big difference in terms of where I shut it down. Right now, I'm burning some less than ideal wood (20-25% MC) and I'm finding that I'm getting the best burns when I leave it right around "L". Using good seasoned hardwood (oak, cherry, etc), I can shut it almost all the way down, though I haven't tried shutting it completely down. None-the-less, even running it at "L", I'm getting 10-12 burn times with enough coals to restart, so I'm happy. I'm going to have to wait until next year to get some really seasoned wood running but, for now, I'm very happy with my Summit.

Enjoy the warmth!

Last edited:
Jigger,

I am curious about your old Elmira as I've currently taking care of a house for the winter with an Elmira 1100 6" flu. Did yours have the cats installed and how did it work? If you had cats, did you install probe thermometers for each one?

Jigger,

I am curious about your old Elmira as I've currently taking care of a house for the winter with an Elmira 1100 6" flu. Did yours have the cats installed and how did it work? If you had cats, did you install probe thermometers for each one?
No cats. Looked online but couldn't find any that fit I ran it with out them.

Little update. I've been burning pretty much 24/7 since I got the stove installed November 28th. I think I've done three or four restarts. Only one real cold restart as we were gone for more than 24 hrs. I learned from my cold start from last time with smoke bellowing into the house. Opened the door felt the cool draft. Closed door opened nearby window waited 5 or so minutes. Cracked door not as cool in firebox lit crumbled piece of paper held it up to the baffle area. Loaded the stove and did a top down burn. Worked great. The other restarts were because of minimal coals and not wanting to wait until they would have lit off the reload. Pretty much have the stove figured out. Air flow and getting heat up stairs seems to be working. I have a small fan at the top of the stairs on low blowing down the stairs. My staircase is open to my living room and has a half wall or pony wall so the warm basement air flows up and out of the basement good. I have a small on low blower fan blowing air across the stove towards the stairwell. I have not used my NG furnace to much since the install. I cycle it on just to ensure no issues. Currently 21c (70f) upstairs. 27c(80.5f) in the stove room area. Stove cruising around 650f. Forgot to mention -30c(-22f). Not sure of windchill but likely around -40c and f

Last edited:
Impressive. Thanks for the update. Some would not believe a 2 cu ft stove could heat 24/7 in those conditions. Your house sounds like it is very well insulated. How many square feet are you heating?

Last edited:
Total square feet up and downstairs 2200 sq ft. All new windows except the three in bedrooms which are from 85. Doors are original I believe from 1967 build. Single layer of batt insulation in attic. I plan on adding a second layer in the attic some day. The basement is fully insulated and high end windows.

Finally. Got my PE blower motor. After waiting since November I got one. Well a second one. The first one was rattling bad. I think one of motor bearings was a dud or was pressed on crooked. The stove shop switched it out no issue. The second one I tested at the shop was quiet no bearing noise. I get home ready to install and notice 3 screws missing from the one side of the housing. Let's just say PE employee JC was not checking over his/her work before signing off on the quality control sheet. Both blowers built on same day by same person. Call the shop have them take three screws off the first one and install on the one at home. Issue is stove shop is 1hr 30 min one way. So I finally got the screws today and sitting here letting it do its thing. Nice and quiet. Hopefully it lasts awhile after all the headaches. Is it correct that the auto turns on when the thermocouple hits 250f. Checked with IR and its 160 back there so switched to manual for now. Here's a shot of the thermocouple.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423788350.428169.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive. Thanks for the update. Some would not believe a 2 cu ft stove could heat 24/7 in those conditions. Your house sounds like it is very well insulated. How many square feet are you heating?

Total square feet up and downstairs 2200 sq ft. All new windows except the three in bedrooms which are from 85. Doors are original I believe from 1967 build. Single layer of batt insulation in attic. I plan on adding a second layer in the attic some day. The basement is fully insulated and high end windows.

Is this the only heat you use? I have a Super 27 and live in a house that was built in the 30's. I only have 1300 sq ft and I'm upgrading to the Summit in March. My Super 27 works great and my heat never kicks on for 8-10 hours as long as the temps outside are above 25 or so. I've got new windows and about half my walls are insulated. Attic is well insulated. I think it was about zero wind chill here last night and my heat kicked on after 5 hours. I keep my thermostat set on 68. Well insulated houses rule.

Is this the only heat you use? I have a Super 27 and live in a house that was built in the 30's. I only have 1300 sq ft and I'm upgrading to the Summit in March. My Super 27 works great and my heat never kicks on for 8-10 hours as long as the temps outside are above 25 or so. I've got new windows and about half my walls are insulated. Attic is well insulated. I think it was about zero wind chill here last night and my heat kicked on after 5 hours. I keep my thermostat set on 68. Well insulated houses rule.
We have a high efficiency NG furnace. The 27 is more of a luxury item. I grew up with wood heat and nothing beats it. But I can heat the house without the furnace kicking in if I'm here to tend the fire and keep a full box at each reload. Issue is that it heats up the basement to 26-28 c(78-82f). Not a problem if relaxing watching tv but when my wife is working out of her home office during the day we only load 2or 3 splits to keep the basement warm. It keeps upstairs around 66. That's what I keep the thermostat set at. If we are using the NG durance I set it at 20-21 c. I have it set at 19 so it doesn't kick on as often. The summit have been a better fit for the large box but it's also large unit. Insulation is the king and makes all the difference. House built in 67 all windows new last 3 years except 3 which are 85. I could add another layer of insulation in the attic and it's been on my list since I bought the place. I'm thinking old not well insulated house your losing a lot of heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanm
Status
Not open for further replies.