new install pellet xxv smokey startup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevingaf

Nov 26, 2011
NY
I installed a new xxv pellet stove this week. i fired it up today and the house was a little smokey. i was told it needed to burn in because it is new. i also noticed some soot on one of the seams on a 45 degree elbow coming directly off the stove. i installed the harmon direct pass through with the fresh air vent. any help or opinions would be appreciated.

I also just installed an XXV within the last week. Have you sealed all the joints with high temp silicone RTV that are inside the house?

I am putting a layer of silicone gasket material around the tee cap joint held in place with an O-ring clamp. This will allow removal of the cap for cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_0289_r.jpg
    IMG_0289_r.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 339
i did seal up the joints i only have two in the house. i think the 45 elbow is leaking at the manufactured seam

Inspect at night, lights off, with a flashlight. You'll likely need to seal each joint. Use hvac aluminum tape or high temp silicone. I assume you are using Duravent? Stuff is crap, not your fault.

Duravent user here and I sealed everything including the seams.

MarkF48 said:
Duravent user here and I sealed everything including the seams.

Welcome to the world of dura vent and leaks. I seal mine up all the time and it seems never ending!

I used duravent pro and have no problems. It worked good for me.

You don't mention the brand of vent you used but I'm going out on a limb and guessing Simpson DuraVent.

They should not be allowed to sell this sh!t.

Excuse my french but that's exactly what it is. I wanted a nice looking install, what I got looks like trash with the silicone and tape all over it.

$600 for a bunch of trash (had to go up 20 feet, with 2 Tee's and a 90).

I think kykel is the only one who got the not leaky stuff. :lol:

I have an Englander and a Quad with 3" systems that have no leaks. My Fathers Englander with 3" has no leaks.

I just finished up the install to my Pellet Furnace (Fahrenheit) with 4" Pellet vent Pro and had to seal them. Little smoke coming out of a couple joints. Use clear High temp or the 3M high temp tape. Looks a little better that way.

X2 on the bright light to find the leaks. Couldnt see mine without the lights off and an LED flashlight.

Kevingaf said:
yes im using duravent piping. thanks for the info ill try sealing it up better.

If you can, I would take it back to where you bought it, tell them it's junk, and buy something better (Selkirk or ICC). I wish I would have.

When well over 50% of the users of a product complain, there's obviously a problem with it.

Mine didn't leak but I sealed each joint of the inner pipe with a liberal amount of RTV. The crap I bought was old stock stuff without the orange o-rings except for the "T" that upturns just behind the stove.

I Had Dura Vent piping. It didn't leak, but the cap for the clean ou T was next to impossible to remove. Got rid of the Dura Vent and have no problem now with the cap! My guys told me Dura Vent was junk.

twojrts said:
I Had Dura Vent piping. It didn't leak, but the cap for the clean ou T was next to impossible to remove. Got rid of the Dura Vent and have no problem now with the cap! My guys told me Dura Vent was junk.

Haven't tried to remove my cap yet..........there was lots of silicone jelly applied to the o-ring by the manufacturer...hopefully it's still there.

I bought the anti seize stuff but couldn't get the darn cap off to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.