New Install planning, free standing or built in??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

54d18

Mar 17, 2014
Northern Ontario, Canada
I'm looking for some suggestions on a new corner installation,
a small unit, basically 16x12 room. I'd like to hear from some
users out there as to best performance and cost effectiveness.

Also, either freestanding, or built in comments appreciated.

Thanks,
T from Northern Ont. Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd advise you to go to your local hearth shop & see what they offer. You are in a cold(er) area of the north & I assume you will be burning LP.
If you have occasional power outages & no back up generator, then you might want a standing-pilot in your appliance.
A free-standing stove will give you the wood stove look & will heat a small room very well.
They are very radiant & a ceiling fan in the same room will eliminate the need for a blower.
Some only require a hearth pad which is the sixe of the stove's footprint, so that will be inexpensive.
Venting will cost you $400-500 (USD) minimum for a horizontal vent. A little more for vertical.
An enclosed gas fireplace can be much more expensive, by the time you finish it.
It may cost you a little less than a free-stander, but you'll need a front, a surround, a mantle & a hearth to finish the look.
A blower is pretty much a must to get the heat out of the box, & it will need power to run it.
Your insulation in the walls will determine HOW well your appliance will heat.
You want to heat it & KEEP the heat in there.
Most larger units can be turned down by 50% & that's another option you'll want.
Hope some of this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.