We purchased our house just over two years ago. When we were looking for a house we wanted a wood stove, found a couple but there were other issues beside that point. If I knew it wasn't a big deal to install at that time I wouldn't have been concerned about one already installed. Ended up with a newer home but had a prefab fireplace in there. Used it actually quite often through the winter months and did provide heat to the area around the fireplace, although went through a fair amount of wood so lost probably lost in the end on that one. The current house is heated completely with electricity and does well heating around 1600 sq ft for $200/mth last year. The averages through nov-march average around 40s during the day and 20s at night or lower. The climate is fairly mild here compared to what I am used to, although some will probably disagree. Anyways back to about a month ago. Stopped at one of the local hearth stores to check out pricing on wood and pellet stoves. We have access to a large amount of wood, so I was leaning toward the wood stoves vs the pellets. Also at the time I knew pellets were going up and would probably continue to go up (manufacturing and transportation costs) associated with the current energy trend. And I would rather see the flame from the wood compared to the pot fire from a pellet stove. The store ended up having a Quadrafire 2100 (last years model) they were trying to move from stock for new inventory so I bought that at a considerable savings over the retail cost. I at least hope to supplement the heating of my house, although will see what this unit can do. From the reviews I have seen they sound like they perform well. I didn't want a large unit as the house is short on floorspace it seems. I ended up having the dealer install the stove as I'm fairly mechanically inclined but I wanted it done right and didn't want to worry about if I screwed something up. I removed the old fireplace and wall (it was located in wall that divided a room), drywalled the ceiling, walls, and prepped the floor for the requirements as called in the manual. The original plan was to replace the pipe from the fireplace to the top and reuse the existing hole in the roof. However, after some calculations a new hole ended up being cut in the roof to get the stove closer to the wall within the clearance specs. In the end the cost of the stove, all the parts, stove install (included patching old hole in roof and cutting a new hole), cost was under just under $3k. My materials cost for renovations was under $100. I don't think I did too bad as the it seems the retail cost of this years model with the ACC is near half that. Will be interesting to run this year, I probably have till mid october or later before it can be fired up. Removing the wall and fireplace probably opened up around 10 square feet minus whatever the new stove has taken up. Pictures attached of fireplace before and present with stove. Total time for reno and install was around a week.