New Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinwburke

Nov 5, 2009
Central Mass
I just sold an old huge Warner Stove that was way too big for me and inefficient.

I am looking to buy either a Jotul400 or 500 stove to replace it. I have attached pictures of the hearth and set up. The heart is 5 feet deep and 8 feet at its widest. The flu opening is 35 inches high (bottom of plate). It is tucked against the corner as you can see from the photos. The Jotuls height to the top of the flu is 28.5" and 29" for the 400.

I am looking for advice if I should do the install myself or have the stove store do it. I am not the handiest guy in the world but I can follow directions fairly well.

Also wondering if I could slightly "kitty corner" the stove for a better view where we sit in the room and am I better going top or back for the flu outlet.

I have received some great advice here in this forum and hope you can point me in the right direction again. (even if that advice is "you have no idea what you are doing so get a professional and have it done right")

Thanks to all the helpful folks on this forum

Attachments

• hearth2.jpg
    hearth2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 262
  • hearth 3.jpg
    hearth 3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 245
  • hearth.jpg
    hearth.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 263
  • hearth5.jpg
    hearth5.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 246
As long as all clearances to combustibles and the required 18" of hearth in front of the glass are honored, setting it kitty corner should be ok. Check the distance of the side loading door. It's on the left side of the stove and needs a min of 18" to the wall. As far as exit, it looks like this setup is for rear exit. How high is the centerline of the flue thimble?

Seems like either exit would work. Make sure there's no moonshine on the hearth when she's burning. :)

If the space can handle it, consider the F500 first. The F400 has a shallower box and prefers a stronger draft. It works great with a straight up flue, but can be a tad fussy if there are a couple 90s on the rear exit.

So I assume my best bet is to come sraight out of the wall...then 90 degrees to the top of the stove?

And is it Ok (or easier) to use the telescoping pipe rather than cutting the pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.