New Install - Sanity Check

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan86

Nov 2, 2015
Wendell, NC
Hey folks! We've been burning (and LOVING) our Osburn 2400 insert for about 5 weeks now. What a BEAST! After a rough start/learning curve (lots of smoke, some pitch black firebrick from poor wood, and house smelling like a bonfire), we've got it down pat. This is my first experience with an EPA insert, so there has been a learning curve. I have learned good wood is crucial, and burn it hotter than I think I need to. Aside from cold starts and reloads, we see little to no smoke from the chimney at all times, and the inside of the firebox stays clean (no black deposits, no smudge on the window, etc).

The only time I note discoloration inside now is during a cold start or a reload - sometimes the firebrick turns a very dark brown (not black, but very dark), as does the C-cast baffle and secondary tubes. This will all eventually burn off during the burn cycle, leaving all surfaces looking like new once it gets going. Is this normal? My wood is all around 18%, with some occasional pieces in the low 20s.

The main reason for the thread is I need a sanity check on what my chimney liner looks like. It's an external chimney, 18ft, lined with fully insulated SS liner. Like I said, we've been burning about 5 weeks now, including 1 week straight where we burned 24/7. Went up on the roof just to kind of check out how things looked. There was obviously some very, very fine creosote buildup (and of course the liner and cap were black), but it was so fine that it would almost fall off just by blowing on it. I've attached an image looking down into the top of the liner from the roof. What do you folks think? Keep on keepin on or do I need to make some adjustments? I know there will be SOME creosote buildup, but being my first experience, I am of course paranoid about any whatsoever that I see. Thanks!

IMG_20160111_171513420.jpg

Your fine if it worries you brush it out but that looks fine

Looks just like mine did day before yesterday. And I ain't going back up to look until April.

Burn on. You are doing fine.

Awesome - thanks guys! That's sort of what I thought, just wanted to consult some folks with much more experience than I have.

Tonight we are doing our first full load N-S for overnight (had been doing all E-W and having good success with 8 hour burns). Just got it going (after WAY too much smoke - some hissing pieces in there so my wood supply isn't as good as it needs to be this year), but after about 15 mins it settled in with good secondaries and the stovetop temps are up around 650. Still getting comfortable with that, but I trust the install and my stove, so going to sit on the couch watching football until it comes back down to around 500 or so, then off to bed.

Still need to work on reloading without getting too much smoke, but I think that's more of an issue with timing (reload hotter), and better wood, which I hope to have next year.

Oh and I will say the things I've learned from this site just by reading gave me the knowledge and confidence to burn properly almost from the start. So much good information on here, and it saved me many hours of frustration and worry with a new wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.