New Isle Royal -- Thanks All

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johnaki

Aug 16, 2016
Northern Michigan
Wanted to drop a post to thank all for the information and advise I received from this forum. I selected a leftover QuadraFire Isle Royal to replace my 25 yr. old Vermont Castings Encore and couldn't be happier.

There certainly have been improvements in the last 25 years. It got down to 36 last night, I put 2 splits in a 10:00 P.M. and there were big coals still glowing at 6:00 A.M. when I got up. No need for kindling, just threw in another split and went about my business. Kept the house at 75 all night long. This is great!

Now understand, I use pretty big splits (only used two because I couldn't easily put 3 in) and I'll need to run the woodburner hotter when we get the many -10 to -20 days this winter. However, this is by far the best and easiest to use wood burner I've ever had. Of course, I've only had three.

Loved the Encore, the the Isle Royal is the best.

Thanks again, John

Reactions: chance04
Congrats. It's a great stove and really beautiful. If I could have worked out the clearances I might be burning in one now.

Got a picture or two of your new beauty?

Looks great!I would also like to find a leftover Isle Royale. How do you like it? Also, does anyone think it is risky buying a stove that is discontinued (thinking of long-term support)?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Looks great!I would also like to find a leftover Isle Royale. How do you like it? Also, does anyone think it is risky buying a stove that is discontinued (thinking of long-term support)?

The stove has been great. Better than I thought possible. My old Vermont Casting Encore was 25 years old, and I suspect wood burning technology has improved a lot.

Anyway, the Isle Royale produces a lot of heat, much more the the Encore, and I'm using close to half the wood. Last year, during January and February I was going through 20 to 25 splits a day. Today it's supposed to get down to 0 to below 0. I've got 14 splits in the house and I'm just about ready to go to bed. I don't expect to have to go to the wood shed until tomorrow night. Last year we went through 16 cords. We don't have a well insulated house. At our present rate, we'll go through less than 10 cords.

Yes, I like my Isle Royale.

Johnaki

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year we went through 16 cords. We don't have a well insulated house. At our present rate, we'll go through less than 10 cords.

Hope those are face cords and not full cords.

Phew. That's a nice change still. Love that stove.

No, parts will be available for a very long time.

Thanks webby - read some old posts that I found about you having one. Highly recommend?

Congrats. It's a great stove and really beautiful. If I could have worked out the clearances I might be burning in one now.

Got a picture or two of your new beauty?
It's official. I've highjacked this thread, but I'm hot on the trail of an IR and want to make sure it's going to work for my application. Am I reading the rear clearance correctly as 13" with double-wall?

Thanks webby - read some old posts that I found about you having one. Highly recommend?

For sure. I love mine, I'll still probably sell it cause that's what I do! Lol
It's one of the easiest burning stoves I've ever used. Clean glass, very responsive, and throws tons of heat!

Reactions: diesel59
IMG_0012.JPG
It's a sweet piece!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's official. I've highjacked this thread, but I'm hot on the trail of an IR and want to make sure it's going to work for my application. Am I reading the rear clearance correctly as 13" with double-wall?

Yes, that's correct. Good luck with the search.

She's a real beauty! :cool:
I use pretty big splits (only used two because I couldn't easily put 3 in)
That's probably a good thing; From what I understand, the IR likes to run, and the big splits will probably help keep her reined in, especially on those cold nights up there when the draft is pulling hard. The bigger splits should also give you longer burns if desired when it's mild out.
What's you chimney setup? Liner to the top? How tall?

Missed this post originally, but congrats on the IR it's a great stove. My folks replaced their old VC Vigilant with the IR, but that was many years ago. Still working well for em.

Pretty awkward hearth position but I love it! Not everything has to be centered and perfectly aligned all the time, looks like this will work well, and since it's not right up against a flat wall air can circulate better.