1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. wrblplayas13

wrblplayas13 Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, MA
    Hello everyone, I posted this in another forum but figured it should be its own topic.

Just had a new Jotul C450 installed yesterday!! I fired it up for the first burn and it was fantastic. I also had the issue with the paint flaking off in the front, which does kind of bum me out
    but i know its not a difficult fix. Does anyone have a preference for firestarters?? Fatwood, etc? I know that some don't think its necessary and that newspaper is the way to go, but i just find the firestarters much easier to get the fire going
    and guarantee it starts on the first try.

Can’t wait to get this thing going at all times.

The blower was a bit noisy at first, but after having it on for a while you sort of forget its even on.
    The blower on High however is very loud. Does anyone use high much? If so, do you just use it to get the room/house heated up quickly and then turn it back to low?

Thanks for all the great info!

I'll post some pictures as well

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    That's a fine looking install and a great choice of heating machines. Many people here use the Super Cedar brand fire starters. I love 'em.
  3. yanksforever

yanksforever Member

Loc:
    The Beautiful Mid-Hudson Valley, New York
    I have one and I love it. They are so beautiful aren't they? Your install looks great! As for the fan...what i did was to buy a reostat and put it
    on the end of the plug...just plug the cord into this and then plug it in the wall. Then you can control the fan at any speed.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-4008
  4. amikolajczyk

amikolajczyk Member

Loc:
    Blue Knob, PA
    Hi, welcome fellow C450 owner! Thanks for sharing, your install looks great! I'm a relative greenhorn, only my 2nd year burning on a 450 myself. You'll learn a lot from these good folks here. Curious to know what your burn times and stove top temps are. One thing I regret not getting sooner is a simple magnetic stove top thermometer. Put it center middle flat on its back right above where the doors close. I love this stove, but do wish it had a slightly larger firebox to accommodate longer burn times. I would love to see a fire still going when I wake up in the morning, but that's a minor complaint since there are always plenty of coals. I wish I would have the experience of owning this model from a new install, since I inherited mine with the house. Regardless, I hope you'll be happy with it do share some notes, since I'm always looking at ways to make mine more efficient.

Best Regards,
    AJM
  5. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Very nice install.
  6. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner© Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Nice! The place I bought from didnt have any 450's so never seen one in person but looking at your pics I didnt realize how large the ash lip is. I wonder why they gave the 550 such a puny little lip. I havent had any paint flaking though, that sucks.
  7. AngusMac

AngusMac New Member

Loc:
    Scotland
    Look like a great fire.

I like the bull horns above it.

Very American looking scene
  8. wrblplayas13

wrblplayas13 Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, MA
    Thanks Everyone!

Had my 2nd burn last night, last one tonight before i can fire it up and warm up the house. Of course this weekend in the Northeastern its going to hover around
    60 degrees all of a sudden. Gotta love New England.

Great point about the Thermometer, i definitely feel like i need one. And also thanks for the message about the speed control item, they may also come in handy.

Paint flaking was very little and it happened almost right after i started my first burn, the smell was pretty bad as well, but
    last night for my 2nd burn, no flaking at all and the smell is pretty much gone.
  9. Kyle19

Kyle19 Member

Loc:
    Rockland County, NY
    +1 for super cedars.....Far better than fatwood in my opinion.
  10. wrblplayas13

wrblplayas13 Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, MA
    I e-mailed the people that posted a thing for a free sample of the Super Cedars, so i will be giving that a try when i get them!
  11. op_man1

op_man1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    I think that the difference is that the 550 has adirons but the 450 doesn`t. As a result, the 450 does has a tendancy to spill some ash so the ashlip is definity a requirement.
  12. Rudyjr

Rudyjr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Congratulations on the new stove you will love it this winter. I think the 450 is a great stove, I am a little biased however! Enjoy
  13. OhioBurner©

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Gotcha, though I would hardly call what the 550 has as andirons! To get a good load in there to even get close to an overnight burn I have to put wood infront of them anyhow, so maybe thats my problem. They set a good ways, several inches, into the thing anyhow. And are all of maybe 1" tall. lol
  14. op_man1

op_man1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    I have never seen the 550 in person - did not realize that the adirons are so small!
  15. oconnor

oconnor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Good looking hearth. You mentioned the fan being noisy - most of the noise from mine comes from the snap stat box rattling against the stove bottom. If you can bend the bracket to give it some tension against the stove, it should reduce the racket.
  16. wrblplayas13

wrblplayas13 Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, MA
    Thanks.

I wouldn't call it a racket, i just feel the blower is a bit loud for an expensive piece of equipment. I would just think we'd come far enough
    to make a more quiet blower.

I guess my best example is the Bathroom vent fan, some are noisy and some are near silent, the blower on the C450 is probably in the mid-range.

Maybe its something that can get upgraded down the line.
  17. op_man1

op_man1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    +1

My biggest issue with this insert has always been the lack of a quality blower - for a pricey, otherwise quality unit, they sure cheaped out on it.. Should be variable speed, more quiet, higher volume...
  18. AK13

AK13 Member

Loc:
    Seacoast, NH
    I've read about people modifying their fans for variable speed on another thread. I think they just plugged the blower into a "rheostat plug". So the speed adjustment is right on the plug.

The variable speed fan of the Rockland is a nice feature and I don't know why they can't include this on their smaller inserts.
  19. wrblplayas13

wrblplayas13 Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, MA
    Yes, just ordered one yesterday from the link above at Northlineexpress.com

We'll see how it goes
  20. op_man1

op_man1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    It's true about the rheostat - I just don't think we should need to modify the fan, not at this price point. The smallest insert, the Winterport, has a variable speed fan...
  21. wrblplayas13

wrblplayas13 Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, MA
    So the Insert is completely broken in and i've had it running a solid 10 hours today, all is well!

Now my only issue is circulation. We have a fan on high in Reverse which helps a tiny bit. We then put a fan blowing INTO the room withe wood insert and that worked GREAT, however that fan is a whole house fan and is very loud.

Any recommendations on a powerful yet quiet fan?

I was looking at the Vornado flat fan, v102
    says powerful and is whisper quiet.

Any other ideas out there? I don't want to get involved with anything construction related, ive read the topics about cutting out above
    the doorways, etc
  22. wrblplayas13

wrblplayas13 Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, MA
    Another thing. Are those Creosote sweeping logs OK to use in the insert?
    and anyone have any thoughts on them?

Attached Files:

23. spencer186

spencer186 New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Dyson makes a new air multiplier airfoil fan. Almost completely silent. Not sure how it would help moving air and its pricey. You can google it and check it out on youtube
  24. OhioBurner©

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Yeah I have no idea why they dont have a variable speed fan on the 450. That really makes no sense to me, especially considering the cost of the unit like you say. i doubt it costs the manufacturer more than a few bucks. I wonder if you could swap in the 550 controls? Probably would be a lot more expensive than the rheostat though, I mean buying the parts from Jotul anyhow.

On high the 550 is rather loud as well... if you were watching a movie in the same room you'd probably want to take it to 50% or less, but atleast there is that option.
  25. wrblplayas13

wrblplayas13 Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, MA
    Any info on those creosote logs or a good fan?

posted above