New Jotul C450!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think i'm going with the Vornado flat fan V102, supposedly very powerful and 'whisper quiet'. I'll see about that though.
Anything will be better than the Honeywell whole house fan i have though. On low that fan is very loud but obviously extremely powerful but pretty impossible to watch television.

With that fan on low the entire house (2300 sq ft) gets up to 72-74 degrees which is perfect.

Hello All

3rd week of burning and really no complaints. I'm very happy with my decision to go with the Jotul C450.
I'm also actually a big fan of the double doors on this unit, which i got that way to save a few bucks.
Also, installing the Rheostat to control the blower has been great, i love being able to adjust it however i want
instead of just low and high.

I went from a weekend burner to an everyday burner and i love it. Hoping to save a ton on heating bills
now lets see how much wood i go through, i only have 1.5 cords, unfortunately no space for anymore right now.

wrblplayas said:
Another thing. Are those Creosote sweeping logs OK to use in the insert?
and anyone have any thoughts on them?

The general opinion on this forum (mine included) is that you can go ahead and use them, but they are not a replacement of dry wood and a regular chimney cleaning.

I have 2 large rooms, kitchen , then hall to bedrooms, 1200 sq ft. I've got a cheap $10 fan(20" square) from walmart in front of the insert set to low speed, ceiling fan going in next room, and central air system fan going. The intake from the hall way sucks in air and runs it through the duct system. Seems to be working, bedrooms are warming up. I get cooler air blowing from the register in the living room, where the insert is, for a while until the warm air is circulated throughout the house. Did you put in a block off plate? It seems this insert really needs a block off plate.

I think that the difference is that the 550 has adirons but the 450 doesn`t. As a result, the 450 does has a tendancy to spill some ash so the ashlip is definity a requirement.
Are the andirons the two little spikes about an inch or two from the glass? What is their function?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.