New Jotul F55 questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creekheat

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2014
Ny
Our new stove actually goes on in a few days but I have a zillion questions as this is our first stove.

I think after reading I am going to try and utilize the top down method for burning. Question one is I bought some of those fire starter discs. Could I use one of those broken up into two or three pieces along with some paper twists?

Of course breaking in the stove would occur first. And this would only be from cold starts.

I break them into quarters, you don't need any paper with them, just kindling.

Reactions: Creekheat
Be prepared for a lot of foul smelling smoke as the coating burns in. Open those windows and put the exhaust fans on if you have any. We love our F55 Carrabassett!

First "burn in" fire was successful. Kept the stove at 200* for an hour. Used a couple paper knots, 4 pieces of kindling and 1 piece of wood. Started with a fire starter. Cooling now. Tomorrow, 300* the stove operated as expected. Really good draft. And the air control on this stove works great.

My 200 burn gave off very little smell/smoke. As you go up in temperature though, the smell/smoke increases. Get ready to open-up and take the batteries out of the smoke detectors.

2nd burn in complete. I choked her all the way down and she is starting to cool. Just barely hit 300. Again, great draft and air control.

This is a steel stove. Take it up to 550F with this firing and be done with it.

Go for it, and put a fan in a window to exhaust the paint baking fumes.

I'm trying to be good and follow the manual dude! Lol it's cooking off. I'll fire it again in an hour or so.

Reactions: Knots
LOL, cool, no harm in being conservative. Tomorrow can be the big break in.

The suspense is killing me :) This is one of about three stoves left on our list to replace the old VC Resolute III. Really looking forward to hearing how you like this one. Hope it is everything you are hoping for and more.

Hiauqui,
So far we love it. First it's from a very reputable company, it's heavy and has a great "feel" to it. It's a stove of substance. The cast is flawless and you won't know it's a steel stove on the inside. Very well made. The air control lever and door handle are firm and heavy, not cheap. It has great specs and even after just a couple test fires I can tell this thing is going to rock. The Air control is very accurate and not just "for show". Just a couple splits of <20 hickory and it was tossing off some good heat. I can't wait to get this last test fire out of the way so I can spread its wings!

Reactions: huauqui
Well it cooled off almost all the way. I put 4 splits in it after taking the coal bed to the front and I'm going to take it to 400. ;-)

Whew off gassing this time. Pegged about 400* dropping.

Thanks for all the info I truly appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. After I have run this a couple weeks I am going to do a full review from what I have gathered. I can say now I am very pleased

Status
Not open for further replies.