Q&A New Jotul Firelight - Should I wait?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Jotul has told me their firelight is being revamped to a non cat stove. It won't be available till summer. Besides the combuster what other parts need to be replaced or maintained in a cat stove? Why do steel stoves have a life time warranty while cast stoves usually have 5-6 year warranty?

Answer:

Many steel stoves have only a 5 year...I should not say only, since 5 years is quite a long warranty. You will find that longer warranties cover less..sometimes to the point of being worthless...for instance, they may cover parts only, and what good is a slab of steel going to do you?

Others cover parts and labor, but you have to return the stove to a place FAR away, often costing you hundreds of dollars in the process.

Lastly, 90% of the stove companies in business 10 years ago are already gone, so those lifetime warranties are not much good. A fair warranty might be better than an overblown one.

Status
Not open for further replies.