New Jotul Oslo in A-Frame Style Home??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightpilot

Jul 2, 2008
Northern WI
I have an existing fireplace in my house that doesn't heat well at all. I want to upgrade to a Oslo wood stove placed on the hearth and vented out the rear to my existing chimney. With a new chimney liner of course. My question is whether or not the stove will be big enough. My great room is 26ft by 26ft with a 10/12 pitch ceiling topping out at 20ft in the center. I also have the tradition wall of windows facing the lake, as well as a few other windows throughout the room. It a new home with 6 in. walls insulated well and very air tight. Even thought the square footage isn't all that great, the cubic volume is large. The oslo's dimensions are perfect for my needs, but will the stove be enough for that room? The whole house is 1850 square ft. I just can't afford propane anymore... $3.00/gallon up here!!

The Oslo should do well, especially if you have a ceiling fan at the peak of the ceiling to help break up the heat stratifying at the peak. Set the fan to blow upwards (reversed) for winter operation.

Yep, the Oslo will heat that room. I have the Oslo in a similar sized room, two big ceiling fans, though in South Pa. is where I am. I heated our entire home last year all winter with it, didn't burn but maybe 20 gallon of fuel oil, max.

Our home is about 2200 sq. ft..... only place that got cool was our master bedroom/bath, which is apart from the main part of the house, our place is 1800+ sq. ft. on one level, and the layout has the master bedroom/bath out around the corner from the rest of the house.

HOWEVER, if I were you, I'd consider the F600, depending on the severity of your winters up there, plus, it has a bigger firebox and you'll get longer burns out of it.

But still, the Oslo will surely heat that place, you'll just fill 'er up a bit more often.

The ceiling fan's pretty much a "must have" for effective heating in that space. Without it, the air really stratifies, even in my little workshop with 10' ceilings. After I installed a small Hampton fan, the difference in overall room confort with the stove burning in winter was dramatic. I run my fan reversed (upward flow) on medium speed and it really does the trick. You will want a larger fan than my shop one, of course, maybe a 60" five blade. Remote control of all features, including fan direction, is desireable as well, otherwise it's tough to reverse direction when you want to. Had such a fan in my Virginia home, from Casablanca...nice fan. Good luck, sounds like a beautiful place. Welcome to the forum! Rick

x2 on the ceiling fan, we have two of 'em in our great room, 54 inchers, set to reverse, draws air up from the floor, remote controlled, SWEEEEEEET!

ansehnlich1 said:
x2 on the ceiling fan, we have two of 'em in our great room, 54 inchers, set to reverse, draws air up from the floor, remote controlled, SWEEEEEEET!

Sounds like the perfect setup for our great room, currently undergoing renovation. Does one remote control both fans, or are they separate? What brand? Rick

I know we got our fans at Lowes, I think they are Hunter, and if I recall, our electrician wired 'em to the remotes, yep, one remote for each fan. Our remotes control the fans speed, and the lights, but does NOT change direction of fan rotation, which doesn't matter to me, as my wife has me up there at least once a year cleaning cobwebs off of 'em :)

Status
Not open for further replies.