new kid on the block

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotom1052

Jan 14, 2015
vermont
the name is Tom and just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. Been lurking here for the last 3 months or so and upon purchasing a new to me Hearthstone Heritage figured it was time to say hello as I'm sure Ill be needing advice. The stove is about a 10 year old Heritage model with brown enamel castings. Upon a visual inspection i would say the thing is in excellent shape. Was told that its about 10 years old and you wouldn't know it from looking at it. I got it for what I think is a good deal to include a trivet, an ecofan, and a small dc powered corner of the doorway fan to move air a bit. I will be installing it myself into an old rumford style fireplace and heating about 1500 sq ft of old, poorly insulated, Partly cathedral ceilinged late 1800s timber framed farmhouse in Southern Vermont.
I know that the stove is a little undersized for my needs but at only 500 bucks I couldn't pass it up. Figured if I could even reduce my propane use by even half id be ahead of the game. My intention is to start building a wood reserve right away but it looks like Ill be needing to get at least 3 cord of kiln dried just to get me started in September. Im thinking that being the stove is a little undersized Ill be able to use it comfortably during shoulder seasons. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The wood that you are looking to purchase - get it now. A cheapo moisture meter is cheap insurance to know exactly where your wood stands (for moisture content). Then get next years rolling. Like now.

Welcome, tt. :) Sounds like you scored on the stove. If you've been around a few months, you may have read about Oak. If you buy wood, you might separate it out and save it for later years, due to its slow-drying nature, and burn the quicker-drying stuff this winter.

Last edited:
You have a realistic assessment of the stove and its capacity. It will likely heat the place fine with temps 25 and higher, but may need some assistance from the primary heating system when it gets colder. It will still help on the bottom line if you get a good price on wood or cut your own. The stove will want fully seasoned wood to burn correctly and at least 15 ft of chimney liner connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.