New Kitty likes stove......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggins08

Sep 20, 2006
Springfield MA
New kitten looking for heat!

Attachments

• mickey (95).jpg
    mickey (95).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 624
Look at that! Good thing there wasn't a fire blazing in there at the time. I'm gonna be getting a new buddy myself here sometime this week it appears. Just got overloosing the last one to renal failure in Feb..............................

Our old cat often stares at the stove wondering what she has to do to get it warm. Usually she'll give me a quick meow when I'm nearby. As soon as it's started she curls up on a folded towel we have on the hearth alongside the stove.

We have two cats. One (Charlie) sleeps on our bed and is patient with us. The other one (Rascal) sleeps someplace else (who knows where?), and comes in about 5:30 AM to wake us up so we'll get the fire going. Then he spends most of his day as you see him in the pic...quite often laying there on his back with all four paws in the air. He just can't get enough of it. When I have to toss a split in, I have to dance around him, as he won't move a muscle. Charlie really likes the stove heat as well, don't know where he was when I took this pic. More often than not, they're both laying there in front of the stove. Rick

Attachments

• stovecat2.jpg
    stovecat2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 583
My bulldog moe barks at me from in front of the stove when he wants a fire- the question is, who trained who?

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 566
Hard Woods said:

Nice pic! We have two young cats.When i lite the fire they would both just stare at it for hours.I have the same wood insert as you!Is that a thermometer on the left corner?I see you put a row of tiles also!Nice Job. :coolsmile:

I have a shop cat that really appreciated the stove out there - which I burned 24/7 this year. He has a chair with some folded towels that sets a few feet back and most any hour of the day he is curled up right there. He cannot seem to grasp that the stove itself is HOT!, however. On many occasions when I load the stove he is rubbing up against me, the firewood, and the stove. My first clue is usually the smell of singed hair. He does not notice the singed hair, but once it must have actually "bit" him. The look of astonishment and indignation on his face as he turned and glared at the stove had to be seen to be believed.

Thanks guys. I have 2 older cats as well wh love the stove. The new guy is 8 weeks, just got him Saturday. He is learning young! The older cats are still adjusting to him though.....

stanleyjohn said:
Hard Woods said:

Nice pic! We have two young cats.When i lite the fire they would both just stare at it for hours.I have the same wood insert as you!Is that a thermometer on the left corner?I see you put a row of tiles also!Nice Job. :coolsmile:

How do you like your Exception? I got the kitten in CT, Avon....

Hard Woods said:
stanleyjohn said:
Hard Woods said:

How do you like your Exception? I got the kitten in CT, Avon....

So far so good with the harman!Used it only 3 times before it was retired until next fall.It does put out alot of heat and heated both floors of my small colonial very well.I have two cats one 3 yrs and the other 1 which i recently got from the newington ct humane society.

Every day is a cat party at my place, check out my avitar. The king doesnt sit up there any more as the wife keeps sticking junk up there so he parks on the coffee table in front. Too bad about the renal failure, we did that 2 years ago. You will find out that most cat food is pure SH*%! Its about 1 step this side of toxic. We just buy Hills Science Diet and Fancy feast. Costs like gasoline but what the hell. We did the IV bag and sub Q needle thing and pills for half a year and I don't know who it was harder on. We like our critters more than neighbors and in fact the critters are our neighbors.
Funny how the cats all hang around in front of the stove but the minute I go to bed they all have to come piling in looking for their assigned parking places. They like the pellet stove fine but wait until I get my wood stove for next winter. Corporate HQ is gonna change no doubt.

Many animal lovers here!Both my cats are raising hell right now but i still love them.When i catch them by the stove ill snap a pic.

Hard Woods said:
Cool= I will get all 3 once they get used to each other....

Yes!Once the hissing,growling and spiting ends LOL!

I'm looking at an orange cat.....................

I have a 15 month old New Foundland (currently 150lbs). He has a love/hate relationship with the insert.

He HATES the heat. Once the fire is going he can be found in another room, usually the bathroom (tile floor) at the other end of the house. But come summer time, he is looking for the AC vent on the floor that is blowing cold air.

The one thing he does love about the stove is the wood! When I come in with a bag of wood, he grabs part of the bag and helps carry (more like weigh down) it the stove. Then he selects a nice piece of wood and starts to chew on it. After a couple minutes, comes back for another.

So while I make a small mess near the stove, he spreads out the wood all around the living room, leaving chewed up pieces on the floor.

That's what our St B. puppy does. A good thing though, as she's teething and it's better her chewing firwood peoces than the porch edges or assorted tool handles..................

As we all know - our furry friends own and control the stove - we don't.

Attachments

• 11-21-06.JPG
    11-21-06.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 213
stanleyjohn said:
Hard Woods said:
Cool= I will get all 3 once they get used to each other....

Yes!Once the hissing,growling and spiting ends LOL!
We have 8. Rarely see more than three at a time. It's a big house, and they get lost. Can't wait to see their reaction when we light up our first fire this fall.

As for the growling and spitting, it's all in the introduction. Trust me on that one. Only exception is brown tabby females. They are usually loners who hate other cats.

Here's my new buddy. I hadda fire up last night and that was his first time. He stared at the fire trying to understand it, he wasn't scared of it but curious as hell...............

Attachments

• Fella.jpg
    Fella.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.