New Lennox Brentwood - eroding refractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveR

Jan 20, 2014
Norman, OK
20140120_222329.jpg
I just built a new house and had a Lennox Brentwood installed. After not much more than three to four weeks of use, the top refractor suddenly has a very large chip missing from the top/front...it looks like a deep gouge, about 1/3" wide and equally deep. It looks like it was gouged with something hard, but I know I didn't do it, it would be difficult to even hit it in this spot because it is above the air tubes at the top of the unit. What would cause this? It seemed to happen overnight. There are other small "gouges" around the larger gouge.

The side, rear and bottom refractors seem fine.

Incidentally, the internal fan/blower stopped working the same night this happened. Is it possible for the fireplace get too hot and damage the refractor?

For some reason this picture is upside down...

Also, is there a better fan that I can use with a Lennox Brentwood? The standard squirrel cage fan is noisy, and doesn't move all that much air.

Last edited by a moderator:
The chip in your baffle looks unsightly, but I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt it's caused by heat. Looks like somebody struck it with a very hard, pointed object. A replacement bower would have to meet the same physical dimensions of the OEM & be adaptable to being wired into the existing electrical system...

Last edited:
Flipped pic:
20140120_222329.jpg

I agree, it doesn't appear that the nick will affect the stove operations. It looks like somebody tried to stuff that last little splinter in for an overnight load and missed by two inches.

The noise problem with your blower is something you probably will have to learn to live with once you get it working again. I had an insert for ten years before I replaced it with a free standing stove and my quality of life took a big leap upward once I had gotten rid of the fan noise going 24/7 all winter long! A lot of members post issues with noisy fans and sometimes if it is an unusual noise like an obvious rattle from metal on metal vibration the noise can be isolated and fixed by tightening something or adding some sort of damper in an appropriate spot. However, most of the noise complaints are just the natural sounds that fans/blowers make when they are mounted in big metal shells like inserts.

I also have a Brentwood, this is my 5th winter with it. That same edge on my baffle is kind of beat up and rounded off, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you are the 1st Brentwood owner I have seen here since I started visiting this site. If you are new to burning you can learn a lot here. I have burned this stove hard would be glad to share my observations if you are interested. I agree the fan can be annoying. I mainly use it to get the house up to temp, than I can generally keep it there without it. Ceiling fan is the key there and my house is a wide open loft.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I appreciate the help. The upper refractor seems very soft...I can scratch it with a stick. I assume that is normal? It is not nearly as hard as the sides, rear and bottom. Maybe it is a lighter material since it is spanning a long distance?

I called the local company that installed my fireplace...they ordered a new fan, which Lennox said is on backorder. Great. I can look forward to using the fan again on an 80 degree day in March.

I also have a Brentwood, this is my 5th winter with it. That same edge on my baffle is kind of beat up and rounded off, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you are the 1st Brentwood owner I have seen here since I started visiting this site. If you are new to burning you can learn a lot here. I have burned this stove hard would be glad to share my observations if you are interested. I agree the fan can be annoying. I mainly use it to get the house up to temp, than I can generally keep it there without it. Ceiling fan is the key there and my house is a wide open loft.

Absolutely, I'd be glad to hear any tips you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.