New Life to splitter that would not run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
I recently posted about my old splitter that would not run anymore after15+ years.
I decided to lapp the valves in hopes of saving some money. I have never done this before and after seaching the internet I gave it a go.
The intake valve was really gummed up from all that good gas we get.Wire wheeled the valve and head and the top of the piston.Also the exhaust valve.Lapped the vales in with compound put it all back togeather and it starts and runs great. Cost $3.89 for compound and about 2hrs time
Rusty

Awesome. It's a wonderful feeling when you can bring an old friend back up to snuff. I love fixing things for this reason. Especially when they were well made and just need a little attention to continue on for another decade.

Way to go.
A good DIY story.
I bet you even put in a new plug :)

I hope you got all of the compound off those valves/seats. It's amazing what a valve job can do for an engine that is otherwise in great shape. Especially if that engine was a Briggs with some years on it. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.