new liner and cap installed. dutchwest running poorly!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobaccogrower

Jan 9, 2010
Suffield Ct
we had a 30 foot 6inch stainless liner professionally installed. im running a dutchwest large epa.

now that i have a liner im finding the draft seems worse then the clay 15x9x30 liner. its harder to get the stove going from coals in the morning. seems like with the door shut the flames get lazy untill 10 minutes later where they finally take off. i'm burning well seasoned ash and oak. i thought there was less worry with a liner? im finding myself checking this stove often trying to get it into everburn(which is seeming like an inpossable task).

maybe i need to change my burning habits now i have a liner? before from a cold stove with coals id get a small fire going with a few small splits and let it rip down 2 coals. then spread the coals and load stove up about 75%and wail with air full open. i wait till i have a stove top temp of at least 500* and flu 18 inches up 450-500* when i throw the bypass lever i dont get everburn.

should i let my temps get higher before i close the damper? i used to get nervous with flu temps near 500* with the tile clay liner. should i worry with this new, clean liner?

wanted to mention that the liner comes down the chimney to a t at the stove. then it continues down another foot then ends. no cap. there is 11 feet under the liner of old chimney. could the poor porformance be from the liner not being capped? its a everguard foreverflex liner.

Yep, usually the liner improves things. It certainly did for me. Any chance your cap is plugged up already?

pen

My buddy just upgraded....new 8" insulated MB with a new VC Defiant at the bottom. Practally no draft at all until he removed the already half plugged up vermin screen from the cap. Works better now.

tobaccogrower said:
wanted to mention that the liner comes down the chimney to a t at the stove. then it continues down another foot then ends. no cap. there is 11 feet under the liner of old chimney. could the poor porformance be from the liner not being capped? its a everguard foreverflex liner.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying there's no cap on the T at the base of the liner?

If so, that would definitely create a (big) problem... I think.

Peter B.

-----

tobaccogrower said:

Yup, if this means the chimney is open at the bottom or anywhere for that matter, this is going to be a problem.

YES. not capped. i belive it should have been capped to catch the ash when i sweep. can i install one myself? call the company and complane? what should i do?

now when i refill the stove after a burn it takes 15 minutes for the wood to catch well enough that when i shut the damper everburn should catch! i havnt had everburn but once since friday night..and who has 20 minutes to stand around waiting for a few splits of wood to bring stove up to safe temp to shut damper? this is with a solid 3 inch coal bed. right up to the shoe! as a matter of fact im killing time right now waiting so i can go to work......

OMG...everburn is sucessful! filled stove75% damper and air fully open. waited 20 minutes. flu 475* stove top 600*. shut damper and grrrrrrr everburn. let me find a pencil and mark this on my calander.........

They may have forgotten to install the cap at the base of the "T". Call and ask about it. Otherwise, its a common part and you might be able to find one at the hardware store. I think its safe to say that things will improve if you cap off that end.

tobaccogrower said:
we had a 30 foot 6inch stainless liner professionally installed. im running a dutchwest large epa.

now that i have a liner im finding the draft seems worse then the clay 15x9x30 liner. its harder to get the stove going from coals in the morning. seems like with the door shut the flames get lazy untill 10 minutes later where they finally take off. i'm burning well seasoned ash and oak. i thought there was less worry with a liner? im finding myself checking this stove often trying to get it into everburn(which is seeming like an inpossable task).

maybe i need to change my burning habits now i have a liner? before from a cold stove with coals id get a small fire going with a few small splits and let it rip down 2 coals. then spread the coals and load stove up about 75%and wail with air full open. i wait till i have a stove top temp of at least 500* and flu 18 inches up 450-500* when i throw the bypass lever i dont get everburn.

should i let my temps get higher before i close the damper? i used to get nervous with flu temps near 500* with the tile clay liner. should i worry with this new, clean liner?

That right there is almost without a doubt your problem . . . cap the T and you should see a whole different drafting stove.

Cap the bottom of that Tee and you'll have more draft than you know what to do with! My insulated S/S gave me a much improved draft.. Stove runs better than ever in fact sometimes the draft is too good...

Ray

The cap on the bottom of my liner fell off and my draft was very much reduced. Wood wouldn't burn down to ash, coals built-up, glass sooted-up, stove top temps couldn't get over 500 degrees, had to open the damper much more just to get the burn going, house got cooler - the whole thing made me think the cat or chimney was clogged. Went to the cleanout and found the cap off the liner. Put it back on, strong draft has returned, life is good.

Good luck,
Bill

CAN I PUT THE CAP IN THROUGH THE T OR does it need to be installed from the bottom? if so i think the whole liner will have to come back out seeing the t is on the middle of three floors. my cleanout is in the basement.i didnt fill stove this morning for cleanout so ill pull the stove pipe down tomorrow and check things out.

Since the tee is between floors you won't be able to cap it unless you pull the liner out or lift it up some to get at it from the crock. Before doing all that I would go down to your cleanout and stuff some insulation up in there and make the door air tight with some duct tape or silicone. This may improve performance and you can still utilize the cleanout.

What they should of done was attach another piece of liner to the bottom of the tee running down to your cleanout so you would have access to the cap there. May be something to look into?

Todd said:
Since the tee is between floors you won't be able to cap it unless you pull the liner out or lift it up some to get at it from the crock. Before doing all that I would go down to your cleanout and stuff some insulation up in there and make the door air tight with some duct tape or silicone. This may improve performance and you can still utilize the cleanout.

What they should of done was attach another piece of liner to the bottom of the tee running down to your cleanout so you would have access to the cap there. May be something to look into?

+1

That's exactly what they did with my liner.

You also want a cap on the liner to confine any potential flue fire to the inside of the liner.

Good luck,
Bill

well, it's not the liner. installer came and checked and it has plenty of good draft cold!

i cleaned my stove and found pieces of the ceramic plate thats behind the main firebox. i think its what creates the everburn. time to get out the wallett and call the dealer!

was a cap ever installed on the T at the bottom?

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.