New liner and lightning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
I've installed a new 25 foot 6" liner in my chimney to my steel napoleon, and It works get. My concern is lightning. the other day we had a good storm come through high winds and allot of lighting and it had me thinking. Did I just install a lightning rod at the top of my house. Will the stainless liner attracted lightning. Are we save. I could picture it now. Bust ass getting wood load insert sit and enjoy the heat dooring a lightning storm and Bam zapped buy lighting. Are we all save and should the stoves and inserts be grounded

OMG, quick give me your address and I will pick it up. Thankfully you saved your family!!! FWIW, I don't think that there is an issue. I know there are people that have had them installed for years and no problems. I have been 2 years lightning free!!!

I don't know squat about lighting rods but wanted to pass on this tidbit.

My good friend's daughters house was recently struck by lightning and after the settlement she told the adjuster she intended to put lightning rods on her her and he said don't bother...and that was that. No further explanation.

So we have 2 people...I would not lose sleep over lightning strikes. Seems few and far between. I have large trees around my home. Those would be a bigger concert getting hit then the chimney.

This seems to be a very touching topic. I guess I have a better chance of getting hit in the head with a coconut.

Status
Not open for further replies.