new log load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudr

Jan 7, 2013
Got a new log load delivered. Im sitting on about two years worth of wood split and stacked. The stackrd wood is nearly all sugar maple, with a smattering of cherry and oak mixed in. The stuff for this year will be about 1.5 yrs seasoned on the pallets. Next year's will be a full 2 yrs seasoned. The plan is to cut and split the new log load as I burn this winter so I stay a solid 2 yrs out. Not as good as 3 years, but will still be good given its all on pallets in the full sun and mostly a fast drying species.

The new load is probably 40-50% red maple, with the rest a mix of oak, sugar, cherry, and white ash. I know a lot of guys will knock buying wood since they scrounge, but with my wife and I working full time jobs, a toddler, a new kid on the way, and a subaru forester, getting loads delivered is the cats meow! Half the price of buying pre split, and a third of the work of scrounging!

I can't figure out my phone to upload the photo. I will see if I can get a new photo tomorrow.

Last edited:
Scrounging might be hard work, but it's tons of fun!

Many in the same boat as you and me, work constantly, don't have all the equipment like a truck and splitter. I split some by hand and love doing it but I'm limited due to work, age, health and time.

Mostly I buy already split from a local nursery who takes logs from tree service companies who would otherwise pay to dump. This spring I bought 2015/2016 wood split, delivered and stacked, six cord at $150 each. Mostly red oak and some maple and ash. It's all good. All on pallets and should be around 20% by next October. Now it's mostly around 25-28%. We'll see.

We do what we must to enjoy burning. Good luck to you. Great folks on this forum with lots of knowledge to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.