New log splitter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whphel

Dec 18, 2007
Lake Stevens, WA
So it came down to price. My cousin gave me a 20% off coupon for lowes and I go a 27 ton Troy Built splitter with a honda motor. If had the cash for a timber wolf I would have got one but just over a grand was more than I can currently spend and I needed a splitter for the larger knott rounds as I have access to 10-15 cords per week and the sledge and wedge slows me down on the big rounds.

I have not used it yet but will within the next couple days and will give my reveiw after a couple cords split.

whphel

Are you in the firewood selling business? 10 to 15 cords a week is alot of wood

if you run into any "extra" wood that you do not need, keep me in mind ( PM me through this site). I am just down the road from you in Everett

thanks

I will be but not as a main source of income but will fill the void in the slow of winter. Hell its free why not make a few bucks and I have the space for it anyway. If all else fails I'll have a but load of wood to burn or sell to locals for cheap compaired to what some of these guys out here are charging but enough to make it worth my while.

I did not have much time late this after noon but I fired it up and grabed well rolled the huge 3' rounds to the splitter that were full of knots that I set aside do to the fact that I did not want to waste time trying to split them with wedge and sledge. This thing worked great for those rounds which is why I got it. I love to split by hand but some stuff well you know is just a pain in the A**. I will sell off a few green cords to get it paid for and all is good enough to cover $1150.

there are a few things I dont like but will expand further latter after some more use as well as the likes and dis-likes.

This splitter sounds like one I looked at here in Mi. at a local TSC store.

Please do post back regarding how well it works and your likes/dislikes of it. Will help me make up my mind regarding what splitter to get.

And I know what you mean regarding a Timber Wolf, great unit but $$$$.

I've got about 4-5 cords in the round waiting for me to make up my mind. Will cure faster once split.

Okay, first off the log tray should be larger so you can leave half of the log up there while you split the other half (not a problem I will make my own. Other than that if that to be honest I can split clean non knotted wood faster with an ax but I got it for the big stuff and the knarly stuff. I do wish it was quiet enough not to have to use ear protection but hell Its a gass motor and there all noisy so what are you gona do. With the 2 cords have used it for it does its job and has plowed through every thing I have given it so far so for know I am happy and it has saved me time on the uglies and the large ones. I also like that I can move it around a pile or to wher I like very easly without hooking up tp my truck.

Outdoorsman:

If by TSC you mean Tractor Supply, I'm picking up a 22 ton Husky from them tomorrow. Cost was $999.00 + tax.
I've used a 20 ton version borrowed from a neighbor in the past and it went through everything I threw at it (including some very twisted, knotty elm).

Outdoorsman, here's my thoughts and why I went with 27ton huskee at lowe's.
First off the Honda motor. I actually was having a speaking conversation in my garage while operating machine.
Secondly, the 4.5" cylinder....bigger is better with these things.
Thirdly, once you set the return in motion on the huskee, it keeps going up, giving you the chance to chuck splits and set next piece. HUGE advantage.
Lowe's will give you ten percent off if you tell them you signed up for the coupon. brings machine about $150 apart. thats $30 per ton.

"Thirdly, once you set the return in motion on the huskee, it keeps going up, giving you the chance to chuck splits and set next piece. HUGE advantage. "

You're right, this is a huge adavantage but isn't that the way all splitters are? I've run several from different brnads and they all have the little auto return detent in addition to just the raise command.

There is no advantage to a larger cylinder except more force. They take longer to extend since you need to move more fluid so this is why you need a higher GPM pump to bring the cycle time back into line. If the desired tonnage of force is known then there is no reason at all to want a bigger cylinder.

The honda motor is really nice. Especially one of their quiet ones which will usually put a B&S;to shame. I think you'll see the Honda advantage go away as the competitors bring their engines up to the same level of quality.

I ran a friends at work. I was the tractor supply co's and it only returned while you held up the lever. It may be a problem with his unit. Guess I assumed they were all like that in that lineup.
As far as not wanting a larger cylinder....I'm sorry, but the more the merrier with these. Just my humble opinion, but the proof is always in the puddin'.

Highbeam said:
"Thirdly, once you set the return in motion on the huskee, it keeps going up, giving you the chance to chuck splits and set next piece. HUGE advantage. "

You're right, this is a huge adavantage but isn't that the way all splitters are? I've run several from different brnads and they all have the little auto return detent in addition to just the raise command.

There is no advantage to a larger cylinder except more force. They take longer to extend since you need to move more fluid so this is why you need a higher GPM pump to bring the cycle time back into line. If the desired tonnage of force is known then there is no reason at all to want a bigger cylinder.

The honda motor is really nice. Especially one of their quiet ones which will usually put a B&S;to shame. I think you'll see the Honda advantage go away as the competitors bring their engines up to the same level of quality.

The troy built I got returnd in the sam way I with that once you let go of the leaver it would return automaticly instead of having to reach up to switch the position to up which would help with the flow of things but there designed for saftey as well. I guess the only way to get exacty what you want is to build your own I my just do that for the fun of it I have a Blow torch and welder might be fun.

All in all though the troy built does its job and for $1150 out the door it works like it should.

The valve on my splitter didn't return either. It's a problem not a feature. I flipped around something or other on the valve (it's hard to think about that now while lying on the sofa in the toasty living room next to the insert with the wind blowing outside - of course it would be nice if the power wouldn't go out) and got it to work while the company sent me a new valve which I haven't put on yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.