New Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, now that I have a new woodstove I need a wood splitter. I have been looking at the usual places, Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply..Lowes carries the Troy built, Home Depot the MTD Yard Maching and TSC the Huskee..So far I am leaning towrds the 27 Ton huskee For around $1400. It has a 5.5hp Honda engine..Has anyone purchased on of these or some other on that they like?

Now is the time of year when you approach Home Depot about selling off their rental units. I picked up a 27 ton MTD with an 8 hp Honda rental unit that was used and not too abused for $600.00 beans last fall. Just go to the rental Dept. and ask the guy if he wants to sell one of them. You may be surprised.

no chit..thats nice..I like that Idea, I am on my way..

Father, brother and me looked at the Husky at TSC, but went in together and decided to go with a Northstar, 22 Ton from Northern Tool w/ 5 HP Honda. We went w/this one because it appeared to be heavier/better built. It is extremely good on gas, is horizontal/vertical and has not grunted yet. We have white and red oak on our place, rounds we have split have been 18-22 inches.

SG

huh..I guess the Troy build, Yard Machine would be at the bottom,. then the Huskee in the middle then the North Star in the upper end?? Oh yeah, and put the Timberwolf at the pinnacle..

Adirondackwoodburner said:
huh..I guess the Troy build, Yard Machine would be at the bottom,. then the Huskee in the middle then the North Star in the upper end?? Oh yeah, and put the Timberwolf at the pinnacle..

Troy Bilt, Huskee and Yard Machines are all made by MTD.

really. even the huskee??what is your take on the engine type..Briggs or Honda..Someone told me that the Black honda engines arent the same as the red ones and if a splitter comes with a black one you might as well save the $$ and get the briggs model

Last winter, I think I looked at every splitter that I could buy in the Southeastern Wisconsin area. After comparing features and prices, I also bought the North Star from Northern Tool and can't say a bad thing about that splitter.

It kills me to say that the Honda enging starts and runs flawlessly, especially with Briggs tied so closely to my area. It has plenty of power and has easily handled anything I've thrown at it. The price was also right at just under $1,000.00 last winter.

There was also an extensive thread about this in the gear section not too long ago. I think it was velvetfoot that bought the Chinese Freight model and did quite a review on it. You may want to look for that thread.

sjc1 said:
Hi: I believe Huskee is made by Speeco.

Yep. I stand corrected. Husky splitters are made by Speeco. Sold only at Tractor Supply.

I purchased a Husky from Tractor Supply 2 years ago and have had zero problems with the unit. Go online and get on their mailing list and you will get coupons for 10%, 15% and 20% off. I used a 20% off coupon when I purchased the splitter and saved some cash.

FWIW, I bought a 27 ton Troybilt a bunch of years ago, $1100, no interest for a year with the Honda motor, and haven't had a single problem. Fluid changes are all it's ever needed. Beats renting one, and since I enjoy a good fall or spring afternoon of splitting I no longer have to do any "marathon" splitting sessions with the rental. Makes it a lot more relaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.