New Lopi Cape Cod hybrid stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Anyone got any info on the Lopi Cape Cod hybrid (reburn plus cat) stove, supposedly due out next month? It's intriguing, although I'm not fond of being a guinea pig on a new model introduction.

Another hybrid stove? I see a trend developing here.

Another hybrid stove? I see a trend developing here.

Let's hope it is a trend with benefits. I still think the Woodstock Progress would be offering longer burn times without the mixed tech. That SOB should be getting 18 hour burns consistently.

Let's hope it is a trend with benefits. I still think the Woodstock Progress would be offering longer burn times without the mixed tech. That SOB should be getting 18 hour burns consistently.

If I had one, I'd probably tinker with it to eliminate the secondary air and go full cat.

If I had one, I'd probably tinker with it to eliminate the secondary air and go full cat.

Yeah. It's a real shame more manufacturers aren't offering cat stoves right now. I told my local Jotul dealer I'd buy a stove from him if he could find me another old Firelight 12. He's trying to talk up this new Lopi hybrid, but I'm not sold on it.

I can't seem to find more recent info from this year. A few pics here and there.

016_BestHearth.jpg
onsite-oct2011-green-2.jpg

I'm alright with my remote control/home automation for my natural gas furnace but I don't see myself doing a remote fire in my wood stove.

" and has a electronic ignition (that can be controlled from a cell phone) "

A Travis wood stove, the Lopi Cape Cod, swept three awards at the 2011 Vesta Award Ceremony - for Best-in-Show, Wood Products and The Green Award. Vesta provides few details on the innovations of the products that win, but it appears that the Cape Cod was tested at .47 grams an hour, has a large firebox, uses a combination of cat and no-cat technologies and has a electronic ignition (that can be controlled from a cell phone) that may significantly reduce particulates in the initial start-up. It will be on the market later this year.For more.

http://www.forgreenheat.org/consumer_resources/featuredproducts.html

Electronic ignitions? ?

I will stick with a pellet stove for that. A wood stove can have so many different things go wrong without all the blowers, motors, and safety switches found on pellet stoves.

Im all for new Hybrids. But I agree with the post above about the Progess Hybrid.. I would block the Secondary air also. Just seems to make a more controlled burn. Seemed a lot of users complained of having to shut down sooner than expected. If the secondaries were firing, then the load wouldnt last as long.....

I see Englander has a new Pellet stove and a new Pellet Grill out this year. Maybe they can introduce a good, affordable hybrid into the market? (Yeah, I am an Englander fan ;))

Electronic Ignition? ?

If there is no off button, then why have an electronic ignition to re-start?

Also, After the wood burns all down, then what does the electronic ignition do? Load in more wood?

Electronic ignition seems like overkill to me.

I will stick with Super Cedars..... No thanks.

I love the automation of Pellet stoves. But this is not a Pellet stove.

Nice Video Thanks

The Ignitor works and looks like a pellet stove ignitor using AC to super heat room air pulled in to 1400 Degs. This lites the wood in one minute and takes 15 mins for normal startup. Ignitor can also be used on a reload to refresh the fire for faster reloads!

Have to get the kindling next to the ignitor hole! see red arrow

Sure works well when the stove is brand new!

Attachments

• woodstoveignitor.jpg
    woodstoveignitor.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 229
Blaze king is also introducing a new stove this fall. Suppose to be a cast iron cat based off the Chinook fire box. BKVP won't give out any details yet but maybe he would sucome to hearth.com pressure if we all pm'd him?

I still think these hybrids are nothing more than a non cat stove with a cat back up to clean up any nasties that happen to get through. Manufactures are betting that the new EPA regs will be out soon and dont want to get caught with their pants down.

Update: BK Ashford 30, 2.75 cu ft fire box with 30 hour burns. Late 2012 release

I still think these hybrids are nothing more than a non cat stove with a cat back up to clean up any nasties that happen to get through.

Sure seems like it.

Update: BK Ashford 30, 2.75 cu ft fire box with 30 hour burns. Late 2012 release

Where did you see/find that?

Sure seems like it.

Where did you see/find that?

PM'd BKVP. I was seriously considering a Woodstock gas stove to replace the basement Keystone but now I want to wait and see what this new BK looks like.

PM'd BKVP. I was seriously considering a Woodstock gas stove to replace the basement Keystone but now I want to wait and see what this new BK looks like.

***Please, for the sake of all that is good in this world, make this stove look like a woodstove***

I want to wait and see what this new BK looks like.

That's sort of where I'm at right now, as well, although I'm not fond of being the first to buy into any new design. BK has zero experience with casting, from what I can see, but at least they seem to have a long history of quality products and customer service.

***Please, for the sake of all that is good in this world, make this stove look like a woodstove***

Please, please, please! I'd have already bought a BK, if they didn't look like utilitarian steel boxes.

Someone must have a photo of this new BK floating about somewhere.

Please, please, please! I'd have already bought a BK, if they didn't look like utilitarian steel boxes.

Someone must have a photo of this new BK floating about somewhere.

Are you still going to install a stove there? I'm sure the looks of the new BK are already long ago cast in iron. But that will not change the issues brought up already like the woodwork, hearth, depth, wood in the chimney, etc..

I'm looking forward to seeing it. But, for all that is holy, I hope this is the last summer (and sometimes winter) of me juggling stoves. If everything goes right, I am about a week away from ordering a 30.

I want at least a 12 month period in which I am not searching for, driving to, moving, hauling, or lifting a wood stove.

I bet it will be a steel fire box with an attached cast surround. Seems to be the latest craze.

What about this new Lopi, any specs out there?

Agreed, I think they have noticed the success of PE and Jotul and are targeting the Alderlea, Rangeley, Boston, etc. market. Though it may seem like a new trend, Napoleon and Quadrafire have had cast iron jacketed steel stoves for several years prior.

Are you still going to install a stove there? I'm sure the looks of the new BK are already long ago cast in iron. But that will not change the issues brought up already like the woodwork, hearth, depth, wood in the chimney, etc..

Well, it's all up in the air, at the moment. The chimney inspector insists there's still wood up there, but he did not put a camera up the chimney, and I suspect could not properly identify what he saw from below. I put an actual video camera all the way up thru the chimney (something he claimed he was unable to do), and all I saw was stone and brick. After some argument, the chimney company has said they would schedule another inspector to come do the inspection with camera, but I have not had success in getting them to call me back to schedule an appointment.

I checked the clearances of this fireplace against a Firelight 12, which is a pretty big stove. I was in the clear on all dimensions. I suspect I'll be able to clear a smaller Blaze King stove, but will have to check when the install manual is released.

I want at least a 12 month period in which I am not searching for, driving to, moving, hauling, or lifting a wood stove.

I bet you'll get bored, and start looking for reasons to swap stoves, anyway.

I would be surprised if the new BK has a shallow, E/W firebox. My guess is that it will be a reskinning of the Chinook line.

I would be surprised if the new BK has a shallow, E/W firebox. My guess is that it will be a reskinning of the Chinook line.

After removal of the "new" (1894'ish) brick firebox built into my fireplace, I found the original stone fireplace is actually 36" deep, behind the doors. I'll have to check the clearances on the Chinook, particularly that to the wood lintel, and see how it fits in my now-deeper firebox. I would prefer N/S loading, if I can make it work. It does mean I'd likely need to build a bigger hearth extension, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.