New M55 FS Steel Questions....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyJ

Good morning all,

Very informative site as I have been lurking for some time but finally making the plunge. Some history, I had an Enviro EF3 and finally after much research moved to a Enviro m55 steel FS. It was installed last Thursday so I have only had it a few days. The stove seems to be working great and overall the stove is quiet. I do has some questions which I would love to hear your thoughts on.

1) Dealer installed the stove and plugged the thermostat wire to the back of the stove. He tested the stove on "Manual" and everything seemed to be good. That night I put the stove in "Hi/Low" and tested the thermostat and ....nothing. So I took the side panel off and noticed there is no wires coming to the plug in on the back of the stove. I noticed the blue plug on the control panel itself but there is no wires coming off it. What size wire would I run from the blue plug to the black plug on the back of the stove? Or could I just bring the thermostat wire directly in and plug to the blue plug on the control panel.

2) I am getting a dark smoke stain on the upper portion of the glass. I have left the Combustion Air Trim at 3. SHould I be adjusting this up or down? After all the reading I have done I am still confused at what the "Feed Trim" and the "Combustion Air Trim" do. I have taken some suggestions and dropped the feed trim to 1 and running the heat level at 3 and 4.

3) The stove is very quiet except for the augger which you can definately here. Also every half hour when the agitator runs it is a high pitch whistle. Hard to describe but would be like a dog whistle....I shut the stove down and have lubed the end twice now with the supplied stuff. No change.

The stove puts out a really nice heat....more intense than my EF3. I have been running it on "Premium" as I found the noise of the agitator to annoying on the "Regular Fuel" setting. Still trying to decide on the OAK.....may do that yet but right now I do not have one installed.

Thanks for any help you can give me on the above.

Hi, Jimmy and congrats on the stove. I got the same one in October 2010 and like it very much.

1) I didn't set up the thermostat yet as the manual the stove came with and the stove are a little different, and the manual is not that informative either. So i haven't tried and have been using the manual mode only.

2) This seems to a design flaw in this unit, as others on the forum have also complained of having the upper right side of the glass covered with ash. Mine does it too, but it varies depending on the pellet quality and the stove heat setting. I think the higher settings remove some of the build up. Mine doesn't get bad, just that corner of the glass. I also have outside air installed so I am sure I am getting enough air for the air wash to do its thing.

3) Yes, it is a quiet stove, but the agitator does make the dog whistle noise. And mine pops too as it breaks up the clinkers. I don't think anything can be done about it.

Hope this helps some.

vinny

Good luck

JimmyJ,

1. On my stove the thermostat is connected to the blue plug. There was a jumper (small wire connected to both sides of the plug)
that is removed and the thermostat wire is plugged in.

2. Yes the top of glass does get dirty.

3. My agitator just started making a slight whistle this weekend, I believe it is the motor or sprocket (will work on this tonight).
the bare end of the agitator where you apply the anti-sieze, never makes any noise. I would inspect the motor and sprocket
during the 30 minute cycle.

I read that there is supposed to be red wires coming off the blue plug that run to the black plug on the back of the stove which is where you connect the brown thermostat wire. My stove has no wires coming off it to the black plug.

JimmyJ said:
Good morning all,

Very informative site as I have been lurking for some time but finally making the plunge. Some history, I had an Enviro EF3 and finally after much research moved to a Enviro m55 steel FS. It was installed last Thursday so I have only had it a few days. The stove seems to be working great and overall the stove is quiet. I do has some questions which I would love to hear your thoughts on.

1) Dealer installed the stove and plugged the thermostat wire to the back of the stove. He tested the stove on "Manual" and everything seemed to be good. That night I put the stove in "Hi/Low" and tested the thermostat and ....nothing. So I took the side panel off and noticed there is no wires coming to the plug in on the back of the stove. I noticed the blue plug on the control panel itself but there is no wires coming off it. What size wire would I run from the blue plug to the black plug on the back of the stove? Or could I just bring the thermostat wire directly in and plug to the blue plug on the control panel.

2) I am getting a dark smoke stain on the upper portion of the glass. I have left the Combustion Air Trim at 3. SHould I be adjusting this up or down? After all the reading I have done I am still confused at what the "Feed Trim" and the "Combustion Air Trim" do. I have taken some suggestions and dropped the feed trim to 1 and running the heat level at 3 and 4.

3) The stove is very quiet except for the augger which you can definately here. Also every half hour when the agitator runs it is a high pitch whistle. Hard to describe but would be like a dog whistle....I shut the stove down and have lubed the end twice now with the supplied stuff. No change.

The stove puts out a really nice heat....more intense than my EF3. I have been running it on "Premium" as I found the noise of the agitator to annoying on the "Regular Fuel" setting. Still trying to decide on the OAK.....may do that yet but right now I do not have one installed.

Thanks for any help you can give me on the above.

2) Try turning the "combustion air trim" up in conjunction with the "feed trim down" Heat level 3, combusiton air trim 4/5, feed level 1. You will notice the soot changes to a greyish trannslucent color and the flame seems happier. You should also notice it will take longer for the soot to appear.

I would recommend an OAK. The unit has a 3" OAK input for a reason...it needs lots of air!

Thanks for the suggestions.....I will try to adjust the trim up tonight and see. Do you guys have any or know of any pictures of the control panel showing how the wire is connected to the Blue Plug. Should I just hook the two wires from the brown thermostat wire to the two holes in the blue plug?

Yes, insert the stripped wire ends into the holes and tighten the adjacent screws.

Does it matter which wire goes into which hole? I tried this yesterday and unplugged stove and plugged it back in and still nothing. If the wires are disconnected and you put the stove in "Hi/Low" mode it cycles down to low but will not go into High. When I connected the two wires to the unit on the blue plug and started the stove again after the warm up cycle it and tried to use the thermostat nothing. Even when I switched it to "Hi/Low" the unit did not cycle down. I tried to drop the thermostat temp to low and it still was operating like it is in Manual mode. It does not want to pick up the thermostat. That is why I was hoping I was doing something wrong but by the sounds of it I had it installed correctly......not sure.

What model thermostat are you using? I have found some 24 volt stats do not work properly and have found that the millivolt stats work. Also on some stats there is a jumper wire that may need to be removed, I don't have info on that as I haven't seen them. Or could be that you need to check the wires at the thermostat, Makes sure its wired correctly.

Could be bad stat or broken-loose wire. Disconnect wires at the stat and connect the wires together, Stove should now cycle to high fire(when on high/low).

1.) If it works stat NG.

2.) If it doesn't wire NG or goofy control board. Place jumper on the stat connection on the control board. If it works wire is NG. If not its the control board.

Ok I will try that tonight. I am confuesed though with the "jumper". My stove had no jumper wire there. Do I just cut a small piece of wire and put each end in the two holes n the blue plug? Once this is done than, what do you do with the thermostat wire....leave it off? I know with the no jumper on the blue plug and no stat wire hooked up to the blue plug, once you switch from "Manual" to "Hi/Low" you hear the stove switch to low. I just called the dealer and they can't come till the end of next week.

JimmyJ said:
Ok I will try that tonight. I am confuesed though with the "jumper". My stove had no jumper wire there. Do I just cut a small piece of wire and put each end in the two holes n the blue plug? Once this is done than, what do you do with the thermostat wire....leave it off? I know with the no jumper on the blue plug and no stat wire hooked up to the blue plug, once you switch from "Manual" to "Hi/Low" you hear the stove switch to low. I just called the dealer and they can't come till the end of next week.

Yes, A small piece of wire connected to the blue terminal block. Besure wires are tight and have good contact. But please follow the steps above to eliminate the bad item.

Ok, thanks for your help with this. I will do all the steps this evening. So to confirm, no other wires will go to the blue plug beside the the jumper. Why would my stove not have the jumper? The dealer never did have that panel off the stove to see if there was a jumper so the stove never did have one.

I will do all these steps tonight......if the stove drops to "low" when switched to "high/low", maybe it is the thermostat or wire......the control panel maybe fine. Now that I started into this I am kinda determined to fix it.

Thanks again for helping me with this. I need to go get a prog stat anyway but want to make sure things will work first.

If you want to use the stat the jumper has to be removed. If you don't have a stat you can insert the jumper or run in manual. Most of the new stoves are not coming with a jumper installed. Right from Enviro/Sherwood Ind. no jumper. Most dealers will just set the stove in maual and let it ripe.

So jumper in with no stat. Jumper out with a stat. I only said to put the jumper in to test control board. But you really don't need it at all!

Did some tinkering last night....seems one of the thermostat wires for some reason did not connect right at the stat.....I cut it and connected again and now it works. Thanks for the help.

Now, the stove is running on low when the stat does not call for heat but it seems really low......I am kinda worried it may trip the low sensor temp and shut off filling the room with smoke. Should I be concerned with that?

One neat thing I found out with this stove over my old EF3 is that if the hopper lid is open the stove will not feed pellets. I never knew that. I opened the hopper and then went to the kitchen to get a knife to open the bag of pellets and came back and noticed it wasn't feeding pellets. I shut the lid and the hopper started. Learn something new every day ....

Thanks again

JimmyJ,

Glad it all worked out for you. Yes the low fire is small, I have not had any shutdowns yet, been burning and
running on T-stat sine early November. Also if in fact the the sensor were to shut down the unit I believe it does
so in the standard/usuall shut down process, not poof lights out.

I've got my thermostat sensor sitting in my air inlet tube on my M-55, no outside fresh air (and partially plugged) and it runs really well, lol. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.