New member and New to Pellet Stoves, Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkz

Feb 20, 2015
Upstate NY
Good evening everyone.

I'm new to the forum and to pellet stoves in general. Been reading and researching for the last two nights and have an appointment tomorrow to see some stoves.

A little background.

Our home is a 100 year old with 4 floors. Old basement that is not finished and only about 5 feet in height not heated nothing down there. Next two floors are heated and used and the third top floor is a small attic which is not heated. 2 years ago our home was completely remodeled from the frame up. New insulation, new sheetrock, new wiring, new plumbing, new roof, new siding, new electric and even our furnace. Everything but the frame and staircase.

Our current heat source is water baseboard heat. We are looking for a pellet stove to use in our living room area for nice steady heat and something to help our existing heat source. We are not looking for a replacement heat source.

So with that said we have decided to go with a Harmon "advanced" pellet stove. We are limited on space were it will be going so we are hoping that stove isn't too big. We plan on seeing that model and others tomorrow.

Couple of questions,

1) My wife is dead sent against black soot on the outside of the home. Do we have any options other then running the pipe up the entire side of the home? I don't think that would look good going up 3 stories to get above the roof line.

2) Are there any issues we should be aware of while shopping for stoves? Like I said we have never even seen a pellet stove in action. Just from my reading I see Harmon's have the best reviews.

I'm sure after my meeting tomorrow I'll have more questions. But until then thanks for any insight you can offer.

I had a Harman Advance in my previous home, nice looking small stove. As far as the flue putting soot on the siding, shouldn't be a problem depending on the prevailing wind etc. Most of the ash the comes out of a reasonable flue is light gray and very light in weight so any breeze will carry it away. You will need to extend the vertical portion of the chimney away from the side of the house then install a 90 degree elbow to direct it away from the siding. I use a 5 foot piece of stove pipe and a elbow to draft my stove (Harman P43) works well.

Proper venting with the right termination cap will minimize dust issue. Going cheap there is not worth the hassle of cleaning the siding. Jet cap
Little better fuel will help too.

Thanks for the input. we won't be going cheap on the install. We'll be paying someone to install the stove for us.

Another question,
We plan on putting this in the living room, how quiet do these run? We just don't want the stove to compete with the TV .

One of the only stoves that can run without the room fan so you can turn it down to a maintenance fire of about 8,ooo btus. And enjoy the fire and still have some heat. Download the stoves manual and read up on your choices.
Welcome.

One of the only stoves that can run without the room fan so you can turn it down to a maintenance fire of about 8,ooo btus. And enjoy the fire and still have some heat. Download the stoves manual and read up on your choices.
Welcome.
I think mine can run without the blower on also

We watch a lot of TV so I'm not sure how that would work. I can't leave the fan off all night or defeats the purpose of having the stove for supplement heat source. I'll try and judge the noise tomorrow at the store.

We only plan to run the stove on weekends and in the evenings for like 5 hours a night or so.

You mean Harmoan brand...lol

I can throttle my 39-41 RA fan down to a whisper so the Missus can watch the boob tube.....

We watch a lot of TV so I'm not sure how that would work. I can't leave the fan off all night or defeats the purpose of having the stove for supplement heat source. I'll try and judge the noise tomorrow at the store.

We only plan to run the stove on weekends and in the evenings for like 5 hours a night or so.
I think you would be surprised at the heat the stove puts out without having to run a fan. Start the stove when you get home and that can heat your room up and force it to idle and still provide the 8k. That is a fair amount of heat in a decent area.

I wonder if you can get vinyl siding in black?;lol

Reactions: MuchoBueno
Status
Not open for further replies.