New Member-Basic Questions about clearance to sheet rock walls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm very new to wood burning stoves.

I purchased a used Kent Tile Fire stove, and have some questions about clearance from the walls. The chimney goes up through the ceiling, and is in the corner of the room. The walls are painted sheet rock.

The Stove says that it needs a minimum of 21" clearance from the stove pipe, to combustable material. I have it installed now with 24" clearance, but the walls still get so hot directly across from the pipe, that they are hot to the touch. I'm assuming that they should not be getting that hot. They get hot about 3 feet off the floor. Below that the ceramic tiles installed at the sides of this stove seem to protect the walls lower down from getting hot. Should the pipe I have going from the stove to the chimney be double walled pipe? I just have single installed now.

Also, the top, what they call "decorative" cover is missing from this stove. Could this be the reason the walls are getting so hot, the heat is not being shielded properly?

If I will need to tile the walls behind the stove, is there a certain heat resistant adhesive I should be using? Are there other more simpler options to protect the walls from the heat beside tile?

Any help would really be appreciated, since I am very new at all this.

Pete

Pics?

It might not be a good idea to run the stove for now. The stove is not being run as designed and it certainly could be the reason why your walls are so hot. The cover may also channel a convective current over the stove to cool it off. This could keep panels from overheating and warping or cracking. Running the stove with it missing could be placing your family in danger.

Matt

Don't know the shape of the top of your stove, but if it is flat why don't you just get a piece of soapstone cut to size and place it on top of the stove? It will absorb a lot of heat and release it slowly into the room. If that is the cause of the warm wall, it should mitigte the situation. Also and easy attractive replacement for a missing top.

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm going to buy the pipe heat shield, and see if that does the trick. From reading the description, it should. I'm also going to look into get a piece of soapstone for the top. Is that something Lowes or Home Depot sells??

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm going to buy the pipe heat shield, and see if that does the trick. From reading the description, it should. I'm also going to look into get a piece of soapstone for the top. Is that something Lowes or Home Depot sells??

I doubt you would be able to find a piece of soapstone at the Big Box stores . . . generally these can be found at granite countertop places.

If you called Woodstock with the measurements you need, they would cut a piece to size and ship it to you....or. perhaps, two pieces that match and meet in the middle, which may be a better idea as
it would give you more leeway for expansion and contraction with temp change...tell them what application you want the stone for, and give them the overall measurement needed. They'll recommend what they think is best. The stone is heavy and doesn't move around, so two butting pieces versus one large is not a concern and looks very nice. They are good about matching grains on pieces. Mention that you would appreciate their doing so, if you are to get two pieces. Their phone #: 1 800 866 4344, and hit 2 at the prompt to get through to customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.