New member checking in.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_

Sep 20, 2013
Hello I just wanted to make a new thread. Very nice website here with great advice.

My wife and I moved in to our 2,500sqft house about 8 months ago. Home came equipped with a brick fireplace with a gas insert. I always enjoy real fires in the winter, so the gas insert had to go.

My main goal was to supplement the furnace with a stove insert. After going over the numbers for the stove, liner, installation, ect, I did not see the boss approving the purchase. Natural gas being so cheap, my payback would be 10+ years. I had to go for a used insert.

Saw a Regency i2400 pop up on CL. It was in bad shape. Exactly what I was looking for. After a few weekends refinishing it, looked as good as new. Next was the 6'' insulated liner, 25'. After reading positive reviews, I went with Rockford and OTD paid $720. After doing some lengthly reading, I determined the liner was a DIY job. I surprisingly installed the liner completely myself. That made it difficult.

Just wanted to show some before and after pictures of the stove.

So far my tally is:

Stove: $600
Liner $700
Ax: $50

I have yet to install a blocking plate. I only have about a 6'' gap from the top of the stove to the brick to work with. Unbolting the liner from the stove and temporarily sliding out the stove to have a better workspace is not an option. Bolting them up was extremely difficult. So my questions are:

1. How do you install a blocking plate with very little room to work with?
2. I insulated my liner completely (all the way to where it meets the stove). Is this bad? I read with the blocking plate installed and the insert insulated, you can see heat improvements. Am I missing some of that additional heat by insulating the liner all the way to the stove? Seems like it is typical to insulate just above the blocking plate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG95201308229511165195744&.jpg
    IMG95201308229511165195744&.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20130902_185431.jpg
    20130902_185431.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 112
Welcome Kevin. Nice job, the stove looks great. Was it just neglected on the exterior or did you have to do interior firebox repairs as well?

Is this an interior or exterior chimney? If interior, I would try it out for a season. Interior chimneys can release the heat back into the house. If exterior then block off plate can help keep the heat down at the stove where you want it. Tell us more about why it was so hard to connect the insert. 6" is not the worst working space.

Welcome. You did a beautiful job refinishing that old insert.

looks nice! do the inside too?

Status
Not open for further replies.