New member, checking in...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_MA

Jul 1, 2009
MA
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. As you have probably deduced from my username, I am Adam, and I live in the communist republic of Massachusetts. Though I have been around wood burning appliances most of my life, I installed my first wood stove in my house this past December. Actually, I was laid off from work, and made this my unemployment project. It was a great experience overall, and I have been very happy with the results. After much searching, I decided on a <gasp> Vogelzang stove, and honestly couldn't be happier with it. The only negative thing I have found with this store, is after my first week of burning, the glue that held the door gasket on started to come off. That was an easy fix, and since then the stove has served me well. The stove heated my just under 1000 sq ft home well, and when the temp was -10 I could easily keep the house 80*. Best part of all, is I ran the stove from the end of December, until the end of May, and I still had wood left from the 1 cord I bought. I know from reading that folks like to bad mouth these stoves, but I have to honestly wonder what their PERSONAL experience is with them. I suspect none at all...

Well, this year I decided I was NOT going to pay a penny for wood, and have so far collected enough wood to get me through the next 2 years. Well, that is of course if it will stop raining long enough for me to get the rest of it stacked. I swear I have been thinking of moving the PNW just so I can get away from this weather :~)

Anyway, I like the site, and you all should see me around quite often...

Adam

Welcome to the forum.

I do personally have some limited time behind the wheel of a Vogl. (small hunting camp). They have in recent times actually come up with a few stoves that are EPA cert stoves. I believe that most people built their impression of the brand on those unlisted stoves (and rightly so, they were pretty rough around the edges, and could arguably be considered dangerous).

They are coming in a little stronger in the market as a viable stove instead of the soup can they started out to be. Also, me included, it is sometimes hard for a person to compare apples to apples when you might have an orange in your hand. These are not the several thousand dollar, 500 pound beasts that many of us have. They were never intended to be. Glad you are happy with your install, and be safe above all else.

Welcome to the board. Another Masshole is always welcome. By the sounds of your firewood scrounging, you must be in a wooded area. In Douglas (south as far you can go, central MA) here and installed last Dec as well. You'll enjoy this board as there are lots of burners eager to help and share experiences, good or bad.

Welcome to the forum Adam. Keep on gathering that wood. You'll need it.

Great to meet you Adam! Welcome to the forum. :)

Welome aboard,
Whick Voglezang do you have? I've seen some of their newer EPA models at Menards and they look pretty solid to me, but those boxwood type stoves they make still look like death boxes.

Thanks for the welcome. The stove I have is the Defender model. It's one of the EPA stoves, and from everything I can see, it's a well built stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.