New member - couple of questions & not sure if I'm in the right place!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSBryant

Nov 13, 2014
Mississippi
We have a Heat & Glo model FB-GRAND-S fireplace. Bought it in 2008. Have enjoyed 5 years of warmth with no major problems except the remote control never worked correctly - no biggie I can walk across the room to turn on and off.

Anyway, we started noticing during the late part of winter this past year that the fireplace would "turn off" by itself then a few minutes later would re-light. When it goes out, there is a sound it makes that sounds like you are blowing against a flame on a cake without the cake light going out.....(can't really explain it any better other than a "whoosh" sound).

When we notice it go out, we turn the fireplace off because I am afraid of gas to begin with and don't want it to explode,

I thought getting all the dust out from under it would make it work - and it did for about an hour. Room got hot and we turned it off. This morning however, I turned it on to knock the chill off and it worked about 5 minutes and went out again.

Pilot light stays lit during all of this and never goes out.

What could be making this happen and is it safe to use!?

You probably need a new thermopile. The only way to determine that is with a multimeter set to milliVolts (DC). Do you have one?
As long as the glass front is tightly secured, there shouldn't be any danger from the gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.