New member - hello with questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beeman86

Apr 11, 2015
Ontario
Hi all,

I've been reading through a few posts in my search for information on wood burning for home heat and there sure is some interesting info out there - fun to read for sure.

As a bit of background to my questions, I'm looking at purchasing a home and property in northern Ontario and wish to get away from oil as the primary source of heat. Since there is plenty of wood on this property this is how I'd like to heat. Another reason is, having recently retired I am hoping to reduce costs in various areas, heating being one of them.

The house we are most interested in is an old farm home, completely renovated and insulated well in the walls and attic (according to the building inspector). The basement however is only 5' 10 at the highest point which I'm pretty sure rules out a wood burning furnace or add on to the existing oil furnace.

This leaves the option of a wood burning stove inside, which I'm not sure where I'd locate, or an outdoor wood burner. I've noticed in some threads posters referring to wood burning furnaces vs wood burning boilers.

I'll continue searching threads for info and opinions but in the meantime:

1. What's the difference between a wood burning furnace and a wood "boiler"?
2. Is a boiler more efficient than a furnace?
3. What can I expect to pay upfront for a good, efficient system?

Thanks!

beeman86 said:
2. Is a boiler more efficient than a furnace?
Not necessarily

If all things are equal, usually yes, water is a more efficient heat transfer and storage medium. But an 80% efficient boiler is likely to underperform next to a 96% furnace with well insulated ductwork.

I don't own a wood burning furnace or boiler but i'm sure Ont regulations stipulate that you must have either one a fair distance from the house. A furnace would mean a long run of insulated ductwork whereas with a boiler, you run pex (insulated plastic pipe) in a trench from the boiler to the house. Once at the house, you can either run the hot water into radiators or into a heat exchanger that goes into your existing furnace. That way, you also have the original oil furnace as backup heat in case you go away for a week.

The advantage of an outdoor unit is that you can use much larger pieces of wood (less splitting & cutting), the wood does not have to be as dry, the chimney and installation costs are much lower. The disadvantage is that you have to go outside twice a day to load wood into the furnace, you still have air movement in the house vs. a wood stove that will radiate heat and a good gasification furnace will be more expensive than a wood stove (but that may not be the case if a wood stove requires a long, expensive chimney run).

I don't remember the exact distance that it has to be from the house. Hopefully someone else from ON will know. I would post a new question in the 'Boiler Room' section with the topic, 'Ont member needs help with furnace or boiler questions'

I have a neighbour who put in a wood furnace/boiler for $8,000 range and it heats his house, drive shed and small barn. No idea if that is complete with installation, etc.

I do not heat with wood as a primary fuel but my grandfather did in his farm house. If your home is arranged with the needed duct work to channel heat from a basement furnace to the rooms above it, with the appropriate controls at each register, a wood furnace can make that home nice and toasty. My grandfather was located near the US border in Quebec and found he could heat nicely with wood and not to use any other fuel. His furnace was designed for wood/coal/oil but he never paid a cent for coal or oil. He did burn about 8 to 10 cords a year to heat his poorly insulated 2000 square foot+ farm house to around 75ºF. Registers throughout his house had 2 chains connected to them in a nearby wall that let him control how warm air was distributed through his home. It let him allocate how the heat from that furnace was used.

Thanks everyone, that helps. I met a fellow the other day who lives near me who installed an outside gassifier wood boiler about 5 years ago, ( am I allowed to say what brand?). He says with a spark arrester installed he was allowed to have it 6' from his house. On the coldest days this winter he said he filled it once daily to provide hot water and heat (via a heat exchanger) to his 2200 square foot bungalow. Further, he said it paid for itself in 2 seasons.

Because I would have a ready supply of good firewood and taking into account I likely don't have the clearance in the basement I'm leaning towards this kind of set up. Being retired and still fit I don't have a problem cutting wood if it's going to allow me to live a bit more off grid in a place I enjoy.

I still would welcome any advise/comments.

I don't have a problem cutting wood if it's going to allow me to live a bit more off grid in a place I enjoy.
An outside burner is not exactly off grid it is totally useless without power. I personally dont like them they but i know lots of people that do. I also would be very surprised if a gassifier with install and everything was paid for in savings in 2 seasons they are not cheap at all. But i am by no means telling you that is not the way to go you need to do more research and make your decision based on your situation.

An outside burner is not exactly off grid it is totally useless without power. I personally dont like them they but i know lots of people that do. I also would be very surprised if a gassifier with install and everything was paid for in savings in 2 seasons they are not cheap at all. But i am by no means telling you that is not the way to go you need to do more research and make your decision based on your situation.

Thanks Minister, I realize I wouldn't be off grid...I said "a bit more off grid". Yes and it would have to be hooked up to a genny in case of power outage as is the house. Lots more research to do yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.