New Member, Install pics of furnace and wood chute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlightMedic32

Sep 7, 2015
Toledo Ohio
Hello all, I've been lurking for awhile and learning as I installed my Daka 521 add on wood furnace. I have a propane furnace which obviously fluctuates in cost like gas prices.

Picked up the unit from a buddy that didn't know he had a down flow furnace, so I got a pretty good deal. The burner islocated in the basement central in the house. Was lucky enough to have a mason chimney that had been sealed off when the put in the new furnace 10 years ago. It has a terracota liner that was in great shape.

Ran a double wall pipe into the chimney and sealed it up. Had to re route some duct work but tied it all in and ran the two large return air ducts. They're below the humidifier so I can still operate it with the wood burner. I ran the heat ducts into the metal duct a coupe feet from the plenum due to my ac condenser. For a damper system, I have a spare air filter that I cut sheet metal out for and sealed it all off. So now the air doesn't back track into the propane furnace. Also tapped into the fresh air inlet for the furnace.

Built the wood chute in an existing window. Picked up the pipe for free from a local company. Saw the idea from another member here.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 646
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 563
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 488
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 440
Love the wood shoot and make up air. Simple and clean. I'm going to tell my brother to steal your wood chute idea. Haha. Your duct work is crazy! All the bends and the flex dramatically effect how well your heat makes up the vents.

The chute is definitely much nice than making a mess carrying it down into the basement. We have a 1500sq ft ranch on the basement and the air is making it to the far corners very well, even with the basement vents open. House gets up to 78 pretty quickly with 45-50 degree highs outside. Hopefully it'll maintain at 70 once we get into the teens! Here's the outside of the chute

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 255
Have you tried running your propane furnace since your install? I'm curious if it'll try to draw fresh air in through the Daka vs through the outside vent.

That chute is pretty cool. With my luck I'd find a kid hiding on the business end of it the first time I slid a split through. I'd need a warning beacon...

Have you tried running your propane furnace since your install? I'm curious if it'll try to draw fresh air in through the Daka vs through the outside vent.

That chute is pretty cool. With my luck I'd find a kid hiding on the business end of it the first time I slid a split through. I'd need a warning beacon...
I had that problem with my hotblast, Install configuration is similar minus the fresh air intake on primary forced air furnace . What I do now is take out the airfilter when uing hotblast and put in a block off plate, basically a poor mans backdraft damper, otherwise the air will just keep moving in a circle and not distribute well throughout the house, and overheat my ducts. One day I will find a better solution.

Hello all, I've been lurking for awhile and learning as I installed my Daka 521 add on wood furnace. I have a propane furnace which obviously fluctuates in cost like gas prices.

Picked up the unit from a buddy that didn't know he had a down flow furnace, so I got a pretty good deal. The burner islocated in the basement central in the house. Was lucky enough to have a mason chimney that had been sealed off when the put in the new furnace 10 years ago. It has a terracota liner that was in great shape.

Ran a double wall pipe into the chimney and sealed it up. Had to re route some duct work but tied it all in and ran the two large return air ducts. They're below the humidifier so I can still operate it with the wood burner. I ran the heat ducts into the metal duct a coupe feet from the plenum due to my ac condenser. For a damper system, I have a spare air filter that I cut sheet metal out for and sealed it all off. So now the air doesn't back track into the propane furnace. Also tapped into the fresh air inlet for the furnace.

Built the wood chute in an existing window. Picked up the pipe for free from a local company. Saw the idea from another member here.

Let me know what you guys think!

What size is the chute pipe, and what did you use for a cover when not in use? This would be very hand for me as I just throw it through a window into a bin in my basement. Chute would prevent them from bouncing out of bin and all over my basement LOL!!!

Yep were back on propane right now just because of the cooler nights and warmer days. With the propane running I couldn't feel any air being pulled from the daka side. But just to be safe I pull the last elbow off and put a cap on to ensure its drafting from the outside

What size is the chute pipe, and what did you use for a cover when not in use? This would be very hand for me as I just throw it through a window into a bin in my basement. Chute would prevent them from bouncing out of bin and all over my basement LOL!!!

The pipe is 12" and I just made a cap. I cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood to fit inside the pipe then a 14" square piece screwed to the top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.