new member intro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay G

Oct 17, 2010
east Texas
Howdy all. Brand new on this site. Live in the sunny piny woods of East Texas due east of Big D (that's Dallas). We're far enough north of the coast it can get pretty cool. Last year we had a lot more "cold" than usual and our new stove, a Jotul F100 just wasn't up to the task. That and there were some things I just plain didn't like about it.

Spent weeks doing research, seeing what options were available until a pattern started setting in. I thought about what I didn't like about the F100 and how to avoid those (few) problems. What I came up with was, I wanted a big glass view, (the F100 does have a fine view) and really liked the idea of having a side load option and just had to have an ash pan! The F100 doesn't. :sick:
If burning all day, we had to let the fire burn down in the afternoon/early evening to clean out the ash for the fire to burn well the rest of the evening. Then it seemed every time we opened that front door we had ash all over the place. Nope. Had to have an ash pan. Finally, I never got comfortable with that top air inlet. I seemed to forever be adjusting airflow by opening the door just a bit.

We wound up coming back to Jotul, there wasn't anything wrong with the quality of the build. We chose the "Oslo" F500. Fire capacity more to our liking/needs, big front glass, ash pan, and a side loading door.

The bragging part comes in saying how little I paid for it. Just under 1800 + tax. :) There was a 20% discount for floor clearance- then they offered me another $250 off to take their display model. Got it home and found a crack in the base plate, lashed to a pallet it may have been travel damage, any how, they brought me out a brand new stove! :lol: It pays to shop!
Got it set up outside to do the break in burns and paint cook off tomorrow. Then we'll move it in.

I confess I don't burn prime wood. I'm disabled and on a fixed income so buying wood to burn just doesn't fit the budget. Then again, I live in the country in the middle of the woods. That makes buying wood to burn morally offensive! ;-)

But, I can't cut down trees and split lumber like I did before arthritis. So I tend to burn what I call "road kill wood." I tend some cows in various pastures for a friend. As I drive around if I see some good branches down, I chuck them in the back of the truck. Nobody cares about that. Gives me a good supply of 3"-6" I just cut to length. Occasionally I get to work over a blow down in somebody's pasture. (Got a couple to work right now) Still, I keep a good supply of nice dry oak or hickory. Just avoid the sweet gum- burns good but, ack! The "gum" may be "sweet" but, the smell sure isn't!

I was raised well north of here and besides wood have burned coal and fuel oil. I am well familiar with the burning process and was often the hero in army barracks with less than modern heating. But, it's become more of a science than an art and these are a new generation of stoves from the old pot bellys and box wood stoves. I look forward to learning more about the working of these.

About my screen name. I borrowed from the old "smokey stover" comic strip but figured that name had to be taken here. Since I'm an old stove 'stoker' and it rhymed with 'stover,' it was just the thing. Wouldn't have been surprised had it been taken too.

Anyway, that's about it and more than enough for now.

Welcome aboard! Nothing wrong with being a wood scrounger. Lots of people on here do that for their wood supply. I scrounge a little here and there, but mostly have access to family owned land where I can cut all the hardwood I want.

Nice to see another Texan on here! I somehow ended up in Utah (it was purely accident, let me assure you). I say that I just visit here 11 months out of the year. =P

~Rose

Welcome Smokey. We'll try to send even more cold air your way this coming winter!

As for the glass view, many have them now. We are happy with our Fireview. However, on the ash pan, I have to disagree with you. The Fireview is our first stove without an ash pan and we thought perhaps we would not like it all that well. After 3 full winters of using it I must admit that I would hate to go back to using a stove with an ash pan! It also sounds as if you were cleaning the ashes way too often and probably taking all the ashes out. We've been burning quite a bit already this fall and still have not emptied the ashes. During mid-winter we'll empty maybe every 4th day. When I say empty, we never remove all the ashes. We leave a couple inches of ash every time.

btw, I also am disabled and on a fixed income so know what you are speaking of there. Although I cut a lot of wood, it takes me probably 5 times longer than it used to and I have to take it in small doses. Sometimes I have to go days on end doing practically nothing but just have to live with it and do what I can when I can.

On the bargain stove, it sounds like you came into a wonderful deal. Congratulations. I hope this one works out well for you.

Smokey, welcome to the Forum....You made a fine choice with the Jotul Oslo, I'm definitely a big fan.

Random thoughts . . .

First off, welcome to hearth.com.

Second, fantastic deal on a fantastic stove . . . I love my Oslo . . . only minor thing is I wish I had waited and ponied up the money to have the better looking blue-black enameled model . . . but the plain Jane matte black stove works for what I want it to do . . . mainly heat my house.

Big step up from the F100 to the F500 . . . be prepared to be blown away by the heat.

Speaking of heat . . . the Oslo . . . like any other EPA stove really likes well seasoned wood . . . it's not like the pre-EPA stoves as you probably know . . . also stuffing it full of a bunch of small branches might not be the best idea . . . on the flip side I have found that smaller wood seems to work best for filling up the firebox.

The ash pan debate . . . some say they must have an ash pan, some say it is not necessary. My own take is that my first woodstoves had ash pans and they worked well so that was a requirement for me as well. Now . . . I don't know if I would add that requirement to the "must have" list if I was buying a woodstove today . . . but I will say the Oslo ash pan is very nice . . . functional and large. I only empty mine once a week . . . sometimes twice a week in the dead of winter.

The only two drawbacks as I see it with the Oslo is its propensity of dropping out ash on to the front lip of the stove if you use the front door . . . easily avoided by using the side door . . . and the air lever gets jammed occasionally with fly ash . . . also easily solved by taking the dog house apart and lubricating the lever mechanism with graphite.

Status
Not open for further replies.