New Member Introduction...and Flue Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I refer all my masonry work to a qualified Mason certified for chimney work. He's mentioned he prefers to go in through the outside on masonry chimneys, I think it was in reference to busting out tiles and reclining, just thought it may be an option in this case to make that connection. I was envisioning a exterior masonry chimney with the brick exposed.

I never thought of that option. I would either need to bust out stone on the inside of the house or the outside. Is that what you are suggesting Squisher? Would it make sense to put some kind of access panel for cleaning out if I were to go that route? The outside is stucco over stone so I would be going in a little blind with regards to the joints in the stone. The stone above the fireplace on the inside is exposed. We always have a picture or some random decoration sitting on the mantle so if I wasnt able to put it all back together perfectly the scar would be hidden for the most part.
Like I said earlier I would go straight in through the stone inside. It would be easier to patch than matching the stucco. And no you won't need an access panel once you hook it up there will be no cleaning there.

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I think going in through the inside may be the best option at this point. Attached is a photo of the house from the outside. This is actually the chimney that gets used for the operational fireplace but the other side looks identical, at least on the outside.

bholler, I got to thinking about the different types of couplings and how they need to be positioned (male facing down). I'm just curious as to when a double male inside coupling would be applicable since it would always have a male end facing up.

IF I am able to determine if this liner is usable and is definitely 5.5", what is the consensus on running that diameter liner on a 6" stove? I've read quite a bit on it and it seems somewhat common but I know its not ideal and every situation is different.

I've got a call into another sweep now to come check it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 140
Take a look at the male to male coupling. You'll want the slip style with tightening clamps. For this style there is a top and a bottom. It's more like an appliance adapter in that on the top there is a female sleeve that is wider than the liner and on the bottom the sleeve narrows down to the male end that fits inside of the lower section of liner.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/round-liner-to-liner-quick-connector.php

Thanks begreen. I see how it works now. Pretty slick. This morning I got up on the roof to scope things out from above. I wanted to get an accurate measurement and a better look at the liner since I can't really reach up to get a measurement from below. The brickwork and flashing looks to be in good shape. It could probably use a little work but overall it seems ok. I was able to flip open the fan to get a measurement. Take a look at the photos. It measured a hair over 6" in diameter so I am assuming this is a 6" nominal liner, which would be a good sign. You can also get a good look at the inside of the liner. Is it possible to determine the style/type of liner based on this?

Attachments

• IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 125
Ok well the top is not done right it will allow creosote down around the liner. And I believe your liner is in upside down. If it is upside down it will need pulled out and flipped over. And what you have is the last durable liner on the market. That inner layer is very delicate.

Reactions: begreen
Ok well the top is not done right it will allow creosote down around the liner. And I believe your liner is in upside down. If it is upside down it will need pulled out and flipped over. And what you have is the last durable liner on the market. That inner layer is very delicate.

a holler, I figured things would need to be reworked up top. What’s the best way to determine if it’s upside down or not?

a holler, I figured things would need to be reworked up top. What’s the best way to determine if it’s upside down or not?
Run a knife down inside it. If it slides under the edge of that inner layer meaning the unsecured edge is facing up it is upside down. I hope that makes sense.

Run a knife down inside it. If it slides under the edge of that inner layer meaning the unsecured edge is facing up it is upside down. I hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. I reached up from the bottom and it appears that it is upside down. I ran a knife up from the bottom and didn’t catch the lips. I then took a small hook/pick and pulled it down. The hook caught on the lips. Seems I’m pretty screwed now.

While it wasn’t the news I wanted to hear, thank you for pointing this out.

Makes perfect sense. I reached up from the bottom and it appears that it is upside down. I ran a knife up from the bottom and didn’t catch the lips. I then took a small hook/pick and pulled it down. The hook caught on the lips. Seems I’m pretty screwed now.

Yeah that is upside down and unusable as is. Sorry

Yeah, sucks to do it twice, but better to find out now then when you would have had trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of a lady friend locally that had her class A pipe encased in cement because a handyman thought that would make it safer. The intent was honest but the execution was very flawed.