New member - Jotul C450 Kennebec coming soon!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newbie1kenobi

Jan 9, 2017
SE Pa.
Happy New year all!!,
First time posting. Located in south east PA. Been reading a lot of great info on here. My wife and I are having our 1500sq ft. 2 story home remodeled. The first floor mainly. We knocked out 4 walls for an open concept floor plan. We are also having our old brick fireplace refaced with mountain field stone veneer. New hearth will be sandstone and our new mantle is a reclaimed wood beam from an 250 year old barn from Lancaster. With the open concept, figured it was a perfect situation for good heat disbursement with an open staircase for the 2 bedrooms up there. The master bedroom is also on the first floor from an old edition down a 5 foot hallway connected to our dining room. The installer is also doing the veneer and has already shored up the floor in front via bridging, rebar, and cement to handle the weight. Seems he does everything to code. Which from reading here, is a good thing. We’re very excited for all this to be completed to have our house back..lol..been living in a gutted house since the weekend after Thanksgiving. The Kennebec will be installed this Thursday..WooHoo!! Will have before and after pics shortly. Very thankful to have found such a wonderful resource here on this forum.

Have a great day all

and stay warm!!

Newbie1kenobi

Reactions: OhioBurner©
Update:
Last Thursday we had our stone veneer put in place. Need to clean the chalkiness off of the rock. Our Mantle has been cut to the size we wanted and being sanded and tung oiled. Once that is done I will get some pictures up of the entire fireplace. Yesterday we got our new stove installed and boy is she a beauty. First fire, as soon as our kindling caught...black smoke came out from everywhere....kinda had us worried....and boy did it stink..lol...but after a few moments...all the smoke cleared and the fire caught very well..and I added a few bigger splits..using the Top-Down method. about 15-20 minutes later the fan kicked on. We were so happy when it did so we knew everything was in working order...we burned for about an hour. Got some secondary flames, which were beautiful. Our thermostat was showing 67 when we started our fire. Right before it started to die down, it read 72. We were very impressed....and the fan continued for awhile as the remaining little bit of wood were reduced to fine white ash. We love it, and cant wait for another fire tonight.

Here she is:

Attachments

• 20170116_205544.jpg
    20170116_205544.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 221
Stone surround looks great. Ours is 5 years old now and is doing well. Keep the fan bushings lubricated (expensive replacement if you’re not on it) and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:
Last Thursday we had our stone veneer put in place. Need to clean the chalkiness off of the rock. Our Mantle has been cut to the size we wanted and being sanded and tung oiled. Once that is done I will get some pictures up of the entire fireplace. Yesterday we got our new stove installed and boy is she a beauty. First fire, as soon as our kindling caught...black smoke came out from everywhere....kinda had us worried....and boy did it stink..lol...but after a few moments...all the smoke cleared and the fire caught very well..and I added a few bigger splits..using the Top-Down method. about 15-20 minutes later the fan kicked on. We were so happy when it did so we knew everything was in working order...we burned for about an hour. Got some secondary flames, which were beautiful. Our thermostat was showing 67 when we started our fire. Right before it started to die down, it read 72. We were very impressed....and the fan continued for awhile as the remaining little bit of wood were reduced to fine white ash. We love it, and cant wait for another fire tonight.

Here she is:
Is that a custom handle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very exciting. Are you following the manual in relation to the recommended break in fires?