New member looking at new wood inserts. Trying to choose and getting overwhelmed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mgogreen

Sep 3, 2023
SE Pennsylvania
Hello!
I have cruised around on this site and read many threads. I have learned a lot about wood inserts but still have some questions!
First - a little bit about our rural home in SE Pennsylvania. We have a 24 yo wood construction, with lots of 2-pane windows. We have an external masonry fireplace with faux stone surround in a cathedral-ceiling living room. Upstairs is an open hallway with bedrooms and a bath. The total house size is +/-2,500 sq ft. We have baseboard hot-water oil heat. Last summer the a/c died so we put in a Bosch heat pump. We live in the woods and love using the fireplace.
We want to transition to an insert for increased efficiency while still enjoying the look of a fire. We looked at local stores and saw Lopi Large Flush, Blaze King Ashford, and Hearthstone Clydesdale, among others. We ruled out Osburns because the fireboxes don't taper (except the Matrix 2700...) Our fireplace is 36" wide at the opening tapering down to 24" at the back outer wall. It's 26" high and 20" deep. We want to insulate the back and side walls since it's an exterior fireplace. We want to use the insert as the primary heat source as much as possible. I am assuming that means we want the largest firebox. We also want the largest window possible and the 30% tax credit. And we like the idea of the unit sticking out on the hearth so more heat is radiated into the home. Is it possible to get all of this from one insert?!

Please let us know your thoughts, advice, and questions! Thanks in advance!

The big Lopi gets good reviews for heat output and fire view. Also, take a look at the Regency CI2700 (or Hampton HI500).

These are flush inserts, so plan on using the blower most of the time to convect the heat.

Reactions: mgogreen
Tax credit means Drolet or Osborn or a cat insert. Look in to the blaze king inserts. If cost is important the cheapest option is Drolet. Pacific energy is woth looking even though they don’t qualify for tax credit IMO.

You need dry wood. If you don’t have sun 20% moisture content now consider compressed saw dust brick/logs this winter.

Thanks!
Can a flush style insert be installed not flush? I saw Osburn has a projection kit for their 2700 insert. Can that idea be adapted for any insert? Again - trying to get the most heat into the house.

And thanks @EbS-P - our wood is 4-5 years old, split and stacked. I plan to buy a moisture meter to be sure it's dry enough. I'm also following the thread on removing the raised hearth for a stove. Would a stove provide better home heat than an insert?

Thanks!

Reactions: EbS-P
Thanks!
Can a flush style insert be installed not flush? I saw Osburn has a projection kit for their 2700 insert. Can that idea be adapted for any insert? Again - trying to get the most heat into the house.

And thanks @EbS-P - our wood is 4-5 years old, split and stacked. I plan to buy a moisture meter to be sure it's dry enough. I'm also following the thread on removing the raised hearth for a stove. Would a stove provide better home heat than an insert?

Thanks!
I have both a stove in a fireplace and an insert. The insert allows a bigger stove with less work. I got the stove for looks. It was a splurge. It still needs a fan. Rear vent stove limits choices. And at 26” high you would have to demo the hearth.

I always try to work with what I have first. What the best I can do without making the project bigger. If you can’t find a solution then expand the project. At 20” deep you should be able to have several choices of inserts.

Some have this design but not all.
I think the KUMA insert slides in and out of the shroud for about 3-6" of adjustment.

Thanks for the advice! Today we're going to a showroom with Osburn, Kuma, and Enerzone inserts. I haven't looked at Enerzone so am curious what you all think of them. Any feedback?

Thanks for the advice! Today we're going to a showroom with Osburn, Kuma, and Enerzone inserts. I haven't looked at Enerzone so am curious what you all think of them. Any feedback?
I've been running a Regency CI2700 for a few months now, and despite liking it, I'm highly upset regarding technical information provided. Regency has been no help, instead blanketing me cold with no specs of instruction about how to monitor the unit THEY manufacture - and to top it off, the installer has given me instruction that is completely contrary to the one bit that Regency provides - regarding the LO and HI indicators on the catalytic converter digital monitor.
I'm terribly afraid I either have a faulty install, or faulty product somewhere else therein - so despite having JUST bought this thing in November, I'm already considering something else.

Have you made a choice about what to do?

Hi there
I've been running a Regency CI2700 for a few months now, and despite liking it, I'm highly upset regarding technical information provided. Regency has been no help, instead blanketing me cold with no specs of instruction about how to monitor the unit THEY manufacture - and to top it off, the installer has given me instruction that is completely contrary to the one bit that Regency provides - regarding the LO and HI indicators on the catalytic converter digital monitor.
I'm terribly afraid I either have a faulty install, or faulty product somewhere else therein - so despite having JUST bought this thing in November, I'm already considering something else.

Have you made a choice about what to do?
We decided to go with the Lopi large flush insert and we are very satisfied! The controls are straightforward and work well. We load the insert around 5 AM and when we get home around 4 PM there are still baseball-sized chunks glowing red. We'll add 1-2 logs and leave the door cracked. Within 1-3 minutes the logs catch and we're able to load it up again. It's been the primary source of heat so far this winter. The truly cold days saw the heat pump kick on 2-3 times in the night (we set the thermostats to 66 degrees).

Reactions: Bobbob