New Member Looking for help on Pellet Stove for Our Family

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask for 1500, it is used and go from there...

Put 1700 USD on the table (literally) and ask him if he can help you putting it on your truck. Don't say anything more until you hear a yes....always works. Dont negotiate, if he says no take the money and leave...you will find it for that price somewhere else.

And yes take the piping, it does not get bad (well depends what piping you mean) and can easily cost 200 USD, so it has value...

Paid almost $4,000 for mine with venting and hearth.

$1,500 is what I plan on selling mine for this Spring. Thats just the stove. I am keeping everything else, for the replacement I am getting (Enviro M-55 steel, Maxx-M, Englander 10-CPM)

Thats a great deal if you can get it all for $1,500. As far as venting. 2 yrs is no time at all. Just make sure its a Multi fuel rated if you plan on burning anything besides pellets. Otherwise, pellets only. Which is still not bad. But multi fuel vent is more expensive.

Attachments

• Done-till next year.jpg
    Done-till next year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 355
Thanks guys for the info. I met with him tonight and he was extremely helpful and nice. Like I said, it comes with stove, all the piping, granite hearth pad, ash pan, and 15 bags of pellets (clear choice evergreen blend). He even offered to help load it and if I needed any help with it he'd come to my house and help me with it for the first 3 months or so. Also said if something happens where a part needs to get fixed for those 3 months that he'd help pay for it. So if it needed a $200 part then he'd chip in $100. He said he got central air and heat early this year. But only used the pellet stove for like 4-6 months and then used oil for the last year cause he got lazy. He turned it on for me and went over everything also. So I agreed to pay $2000 for it. For all that stuff I think it's worth it and especially what he is willing to do for me also. Of course I'm gonna have him write up a bill of sale and put all that he said he'll do for me on it also and us both sign it. Stove looked in awesome condition and it ran very quiet and not loud at all. He said he hasn't had any issues or problems with it or needed anything fixed on it yet either.

Gman12 said:
Thanks guys for the info. I met with him tonight and he was extremely helpful and nice. Like I said, it comes with stove, all the piping, granite hearth pad, ash pan, and 15 bags of pellets (clear choice evergreen blend). He even offered to help load it and if I needed any help with it he'd come to my house and help me with it for the first 3 months or so. Also said if something happens where a part needs to get fixed for those 3 months that he'd help pay for it. So if it needed a $200 part then he'd chip in $100. He said he got central air and heat early this year. But only used the pellet stove for like 4-6 months and then used oil for the last year cause he got lazy. He turned it on for me and went over everything also. So I agreed to pay $2000 for it. For all that stuff I think it's worth it and especially what he is willing to do for me also. Of course I'm gonna have him write up a bill of sale and put all that he said he'll do for me on it also and us both sign it. Stove looked in awesome condition and it ran very quiet and not loud at all. He said he hasn't had any issues or problems with it or needed anything fixed on it yet either.

You got an awesome deal... If he is willing to pay half of the cost. Make sure that he will turn in the "warranty" work.

Stoves do not come with a transferable warranty. My Fahrenheit dealer took my board back because there was an updated version. I did not buy the stove new. But I have bought enough through his shop and he liked the original owner so much, that he did me a solid and told me as long as its covered, he will "pretend" I am the previous owner. He didnt have to do so, at all....

So see if he will call the shop he bought it from... if something breaks. Some people will frown on me for asking/telling you this. But many parts are still covered under warranty. After 2 yrs its nothing electrical. But what if the burn pot cracks??? $300 or better there.

Awesome deal. Looking forward to another 1200 owner this season. Hope you stick around.

Have you thought about starting your own thread when you install it?? We love pics. Especially pics when burning!

Ok, so I picked up the stove and I should have the piping all installed during the next 1-2 weeks. Question I have now is, "What can I use to clean the whole outside of it and wipe it all up?" I'm gonna dry vac the inside of stove but is there something everyone uses that they find good for outside and inside of stove? Thanks guys!

Gman12 said:
Ok, so I picked up the stove and I should have the piping all installed during the next 1-2 weeks. Question I have now is, "What can I use to clean the whole outside of it and wipe it all up?" I'm gonna dry vac the inside of stove but is there something everyone uses that they find good for outside and inside of stove? Thanks guys!

A light coat of oil on a rag, or I use furniture polish. The 1200 has a real smooth finish, so you could use just about anything (as long as it does not encourage rust).

Hello and welcome to a great forum.

Well I have a little different view of heating with pellet stoves.

Originally I installed a used Earthstove WP50 Pellet stove when the house was new.

This stoves was fine except that it would drive us out during the shoulder seasons (Early fall and then in the spring)
We then installed a Quadrafire 1000 (it was the real deal then)
We used the Quad for many many years and used the Earthstove during the really cold times.

We ran the Earth stove on Nut shells so the cost savings was enormouse.

It became clear early on that the Idea of ONE BIG STOVE was a bad plan.

The Quad being on a T stat and self lighting was great, still the setup was not perfect.

Two winters ago I decided to rethink the entire plan and make changes.

Using Pellet stoves as a main heat source is fine except what do you do when its nasty outside in the winter, On a Saturday night at 10 and the Pellet stove stops working ?????

We have always kept spare parts in a cabinet to take care of such catastrophies but its still not a 100% plan.

The choice was made to remove the old Earthstove and install a much newer Whitfield as our primary stove and then to add a third stove over in the living room to take up the slack and handle the shoulder seasons when its too warm for the main stove.

To come right to the point, if it were me, I would seriously look at one upper mid sized stove that can handle most of the duties and one small stove placed eleswhere in the house that can act as a helper during really cold weather and also can do the duties when the weather requires just a little fire.

Generally we dont use our Quad much any more except as a backup and if we go away for the weekend and need a stove that can take care of itself (come on and off as needed)

Now the other good thing is, if your primary stove (larger one) gives up, you can run your smaller one to keep warm until the big one is fixed.

During the winter, Sunday afternoon is our stove cleaning time. I need to shut the large stove down for a few hours to allow it to cool well.

I can fire off the little one and crank it up good and this keeps the house comfortable while I go about the cleaning duties.

Now to be fully honest, our stoves are the manual lite type (except the quad) and they usually run 24/7 once they are lite for the winter.

I am a believer in being a scrounge too. I Love buying used things that are in good shape and getting all the goodie out of them.

Here is a Piccy of our (new to us) Whitfield (largest stove we have)

The Stove cost $200 off craigs list and the entire setup with the raised hearth, corner Faux brick paintwork and mantle including new pipe for the stove Cost about $600 and a couple weeks to do the entire thing.

The other Piccy is the little Whitfield thats our "backup" and shoulder season stove and also may see duty when it gets COOOOOOOOOOOOLD outside. If it gets below about 25F it takes 2 stoves to heat this barn.

The little Whitfield was also found on Craigs list and again the price was $200 and it came with the hearth pad too.

The only thing I had to purchase new was the Pipe and wall thimble.

Lots of choices, and ideas to look at.

Good luck with your stove project and choices

Snowy

Attachments

• Finished project.jpg
    Finished project.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Prodigyworking1.jpg
    Prodigyworking1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.