New Member New Harman p38 Big problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I though is was voltage readings. Explains why when everything was running proper the number was higher. If the volts were dropping it might explain some issues.

So the voltage stays pretty constent then?

Ok Then. Thanks for the clarification . Hope someone looks at it next week. Agree with barbcole maybe a call to the CC company to start the dispute before you lose that option. Enough....

I would contact Harman and print off or email them a link to this thread. I would at least let them know where to find it and make them fully aware of the number of reads and posts. I would also tell them you wish to end this saga with a very happy ending to finish it off.

I still say dispute the charges first so you can open the dealers eyes that your not messing around with it any longer.

I AM DONE...No I mean I am really done.

For 42 days I have put up with a non-working pellet stove and tried to be understanding. I am done. We were supposed to have the Harman regional rep come to our house this Wednesday to see the stove in question. I got an e-mail today from the dealer that said he wouldn't be able to make it. He would be out next Monday. Wouldn't be able to make it? I have been freezing my ass off for 42 days and he can't find the time to come to my house and see the stove-which frankly he shouldn't have needed to do that in the first place. It should have been more than enough that I have had an ongoing problem....But no, he can't make it out. And so I am supposed to sit here and freeze.

It is supposed to get down to 20 degrees tonight. I have over a foot of snow on the ground and it is near blizzard conditions. Do you suppose Harman is going to accept liability for broken pipes if I can't keep my house warm. We made the choice between getting a pellet stove and refurbishing our furnace. This is supposed to be my go to heat source. I wonder if they are they going to call my Thanksgiving guests to inform them of the need to bring their coats. As soon as my satellite connection improves enough and the blizzard dies down, I will file the online portion of the dispute to my credit card charges.

I honestly can not believe the poor customer service of this company. I am a customer service manager and we would NEVER treat a customer like we have been treated.

So-sadly, I must report I have finally reached the end of my rope.

Elise

Elise, I have followed this thread with much interest. I am so sorry you've had this experience. This is a study in extremes. Harmon a high end stove, revered by many has very poor customer service...in contrast, Englander, a lower level stove has the best customer service (from the factory no less) that I have ever seen. A lesson is in here somewhere :)

I sincerely hope this is resolved soon for your sake, and sanity!

Chan

What I hope is one last set of questions and comments from me.

I swear this stove about has me undone. NEVER, ever in my life have I experienced a company so unwilling to accept any accountability for the issues I have had with this stove. It seems, everything is my fault.

In absolute desperation, I posted a picture of my snow drenched yard and a plea to Harman to FIX my stove on their FACE BOOK page. Pretty soon, I got an email from them asking for my phone number and several hours later a call from their corporate head quarters. The gentleman's name escapes me because the call didn't go well. My faith is completely shaken. He was calling to inform me that someone would be out "next week" to look at the stove and that they couldn't get out any sooner. This is day 40-something in trying to get this stove to operate and they have no sense of urgency.

I won't even discuss the fact that they made no effort to even inquire when might be a convenient time for them to come to my house. They just assumed I guess that I would be waiting with baited breath for their arrival. More likely, it will be frosty breath and a bad attitude.

My conversation.....went like this(I am paraphasing)
ME: MY stove is broken and it hasn't function correctly since it was installed over a month ago. I have been very patient.
HIM: You stove works, we saw it on the Youtube video...
ME: No, my stove doesn't work.
Him: Your stove works, you just have operational errors as you do not set the feed rate high enough on the stove.
Me: No, we have tried many combination's of feed/fan settings. That was shot with the both dials set to mid-dial position)
Him: You don't have the feed rate set high enough
Me: Do you understand my stove doesn't work. Do you understand we have been dealing with this since mid-October?
HIM: There's nothing we can do about it sooner than next Monday
ME: Do you understand I am cold and I need heat.
Him: You stove works.
Me: No it doesn't, I then elaborate on the myriad of issues that have come up on the forum-How the tech stood there and told us it wasn't operating correctly, yada,yada.
Him: Well there is nothing we can do until next week and....your stove works.
Me: Please understand me, MY stove does not work. It now does not feed pellets at all unless you turn it off, wait five seconds and turn it on to turbo. As long as I do that every 2 minutes or so the fire will burn. No matter how big a fire or how hot I get the stove, the auger does not turn.
HIM: Well do you have the DDM reading for the stove?
ME: (THINKING TO SELF -Why should I have the DDM readings?) No, none were taken and by the way the stove was never test fired when it was installed.
ME: Now, if the stove is turned to the "Off" position (again no matter how hot the fire) the combustion fan immediately stops working and the box fills with smoke... Guess it is a good thing that the firebox is pretty tight, huh?
HIM: Dead Silence
ME: (Thinking to self-that stumped him)
HIM: What do you want us to do about this?
ME: DUH!!!!
ME: I want this stove replaced with a unit that works and works correctly. I further told him that we preferred the p-38 model but would purchase an upgrade to that unit if it is one that is better understood and supported by our servicing dealer. I told him I am concerned about not only having this stove operate but having long term serviceability and that I need to know that someone in our area has a working knowledge of this stove and can do diagnostics and repair to keep it functioning correctly for the long run.

I am speechless. Sadly I think they are going to try and tell me it is all my fault and that my stove operates perfectly. I am waiting to see them put it through its paces.

Elise

I can't wait to see what they say when they see it (not) run!

Unbelievable!! You ARE disputing the charge correct?? http://www.ripoffreport.com/ What stinks is what is going on NOW with no heat.. I know Harmans are highly rated but what good are they with no dealer support. What will happen after they witness the happenings?? Oh by the way we brought along replacement parts or better yet another stove ?? Probably not.. PS- beautiful pic on facebook, love the caption..

by looking at video it is definetly a control issue. Controls consist of circuit board and esp probe. I keep both on the truck! I would have changed both after checking that dip switch settings were correct

If you were anywhere near me I'd fix this thing in a heart beat. What kills me here is that it is a brand new stove, and a good one at that. Odd. I cannot go through this entire thread again right now but wasn't the original problem that it wouldn't light? Now it lights but does all of this weirdness? Go figure. You would think that someone from the HHT marketing dept. would be a member here and monitor their brands.

I once zapped out a control board on an owners stove. It was my fault, so I thought. The new board was $429.00 and after I installed it there was nothing but problems. I swore up and down that there was NOTHING wrong with the stove or the new control board. Every time I came back to monitor the stove it seemed to behave. Couldn't figure it out. In the end, as a last ditch effort I pulled every single component out of the stove and as I was doing it I noticed that the molex connector that went into the control board was cracked up the middle. It took me about 50 hrs of agonizing troubleshooting to figure it out. Lennox wouldn't warranty the part because they said I wasn't "authorized" to work on their equipment and that I must have damaged it. I installed a new wiring harness and the OLD BOARD and guess what? It worked beautifully.

Hang in there. I hope that they find the problem.

I posted a message to Harman. Good Luck. A lot depends on the Dealer, we have Rockies here in Maine, no problem he can't (or won't) fix.-

OK- You may cease and desist! I got a call from the dealer and Harman is pretty much insisting I trade this stove out for a P-43 which the dealer told me was much easier for them to do diagnostics on and work on and it is the same stove the installer has in his own home. I feel for the dealer (although not enough to have eaten the purchase price) as they do not sell many of this model stove and it is sort of an odd ball in the Harman line up for our region. It is costing me the price difference but I am not one who expects to receive something for free. I have no complaints about the cost difference as long as the stove performs up to the standards that I have long seen attributed to the Harman product line.

Hopefully, next week (barring more snow) you will see me posting an updated picture of my new "Harmy ,Jr." operating perfectly in the corner of my living room.

Thanks again for all your help and thanks to Harman and my dealer if they follow through as they have indicated they will. I will happily pay for the brand of stove I have coveted so long.

Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Elise in Oregon

That is awesome, Elise! I just read the Facebook page. I sincerely hope this is resolved once and for all. Happy Thanksgiving!

Chan

Stormy said:
OK- You may cease and desist! I got a call from the dealer and Harman is pretty much insisting I trade this stove out for a P-43 which the dealer told me was much easier for them to do diagnostics on and work on and it is the same stove the installer has in his own home. I feel for the dealer (although not enough to have eaten the purchase price) as they do not sell many of this model stove and it is sort of an odd ball in the Harman line up for our region. It is costing me the price difference but I am not one who expects to receive something for free. I have no complaints about the cost difference as long as the stove performs up to the standards that I have long seen attributed to the Harman product line.

Hopefully, next week (barring more snow) you will see me posting an updated picture of my new "Harmy ,Jr." operating perfectly in the corner of my living room.

Thanks again for all your help and thanks to Harman and my dealer if they follow through as they have indicated they will. I will happily pay for the brand of stove I have coveted so long.

Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Elise in Oregon

This response from Harman is absoulutley rediculous! And dumb too.
For the lack of sending a knowledgeable / qualified tech to look at this stove they suggest replacing it with another model? And from the same dumbell who installed it in the first place?
. Well , I suppose the deal does look a lot better vs what you`ve been put through by the dealer , and the P-43 should prove to be an awesome unit but I`d still be pi$$ed for having to part with more money.
This wasn`t your fault and the Harman folks are being downright irresponsible not to mention outright CHEAPSKATES about it too. I can`t help but feel their response was soley from internet / forum pressure The new stove and re-install should not have cost you a dime! They ought to drop that dealer too just for being product stupid.
My P-38 is going on 7 yrs old and has been trouble free (so far) but I`d never buy a new Harman because of their policy of refusing to communicate with customers. Your saga is another reason.

Hope for the best for you, the stress of this can be overwhelming, and that you get completely taken care. They should upgrade you, NO charge, with a big Red Ribbon around it. However, to upgrade to the P43, because its easier to service seems far fetched & to charge you is the killer. Good,the installer has the same stove, he can take parts off of that one if needed.. Whatever the outcome, as long as YOU are satisfied That's what matters.....

While I don't really agree with "trading up" and still having to pay the difference, I am hoping
this finally gets resolved for you.

Knowing you were having so many issues from the start, IMO the dealer should have
swapped out that stove for another and be done with it.

Keep us posted!

I think you are going to enjoy some of the more advanced features of the P43.

Just getting that stove out would be worth the cost of the stove and I can see why you don't care at this point other than you want something that works correctly. The stove dealer or Harman should refund SOMETHING or GIVE you something in return for your troubles. Either a free ton or two of GOOD pellets, a refund of your initial installation cost or Harman should give you something for your troubles. It should not have went this far. I know the main issue will be resolved which is great but I hoped for you to get something else for your troubles. I would at least get a different dealer if there is one after this whole thing is over.

Congrats and let us know how the new one is.

Glad to hear you are finally getting this issue resolved. Lets just hope they come though as they said they would! Keep us posted. :exclaim:

Dear Harman
I have used your product - a P38, for several years and it has worked beautifully. Very dependable with absolutely no issues. But this thread has exposed an issue you (Harman & your dealers) really should be concerned with. You must realize the power of the internet and how fast a products poor customer service can be exposed. I am not going to reiterate the nightmare Stormy has incurred with one of your products - it is well documented in this thread. Telling her to pay the difference between her lemon P38 and a P43 after what she has been through is just wrong. You should belly up to the bar, say "we screwed up", and provide this incredibly patient Harman customer an upgrade, installed properly, without more burden on her part.
Fact is the few dollars you will gain by making her pay to upgrade to a P43 has already cost you $$. I WAS going to purchase a Harman Accentra to replace my upstairs fireplace. Sorry - I don't purchase products from folks who can not back up their product. I wish the best for Stormy -- are you listening Harman?

Status
Not open for further replies.