New member, new pellet burner looking for pellet advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FFRKing

Dec 17, 2011
Kansas
www.theflagsaver.com
Hello to everyone.
I just installed a barely used Quadra-Fire Castile insert in my basement. Looking to supplement the propane furnace, not replace it. So far, over the last week since installation, I am quite surprised at how well it is doing. I was going to install the Quad Classic Bay insert if I hadn't found a good deal on the Castile, hoping that going with the smaller stove didn't come back to bite me.

I have been burning various brands of pellets that I got with the stove. It is about time to stock up. I have been doing a lot of reading and searching this site and another for opinions and tests of various brands.

My tests so far have been with Southern Indiana Hardwoods(lots of long pellets and inconsistent feeds, but good heat), Rocky Mountains(not bad), and Heartlands(seemed like better heat, but tended to hang up in the hopper and not flow towards the auger even though they were very short).

My main choices I have now are: Heartlands, Black Hills Gold(same as Heartlands?), Rocky Mountain(although maybe limited supply), and Patterson Wood Products. All are at the same store and are currently on sale for $192.50/ton, although the Heartlands come 60 bags/pallet for $233.50.

Anybody have any good or bad feedback on any of these? The sale goes off 12/24 and I would like to get them before then. I will continue to see what is available around town though. I have made a long list of the good and bad rated on here.

Thanks for any info you can offer and I hope to be of some help to others in the future.

Chris
www.theflagsaver.com

FFRKing said:
Hello to everyone.
I just installed a barely used Quadra-Fire Castile insert in my basement. Looking to supplement the propane furnace, not replace it. So far, over the last week since installation, I am quite surprised at how well it is doing. I was going to install the Quad Classic Bay insert if I hadn't found a good deal on the Castile, hoping that going with the smaller stove didn't come back to bite me.

I have been burning various brands of pellets that I got with the stove. It is about time to stock up. I have been doing a lot of reading and searching this site and another for opinions and tests of various brands.

My tests so far have been with Southern Indiana Hardwoods(lots of long pellets and inconsistent feeds, but good heat), Rocky Mountains(not bad), and Heartlands(seemed like better heat, but tended to hang up in the hopper and not flow towards the auger even though they were very short).

My main choices I have now are: Heartlands, Black Hills Gold(same as Heartlands?), Rocky Mountain(although maybe limited supply), and Patterson Wood Products. All are at the same store and are currently on sale for $192.50/ton, although the Heartlands come 60 bags/pallet for $233.50.

Anybody have any good or bad feedback on any of these? The sale goes off 12/24 and I would like to get them before then. I will continue to see what is available around town though. I have made a long list of the good and bad rated on here.

Thanks for any info you can offer and I hope to be of some help to others in the future.

Chris
www.theflagsaver.com

Welcome, Chris

First off, lubricate the hopper: Pledge, baby powder, or cooking spray. There's probably more, try a forum search. Then try the hotter pellets again.

I burned a ton of Heartlands a couple years back. I thought they did well.

Can't help with any other brands, sorry.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the replies.

In my late night, early morning search, I found out about the furniture polish idea in the hopper. Waiting for it to burn down right now.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.