New member questions warnock hershey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmak135

Jan 30, 2011
New jersey
Warnock Hershey 1996 insert I just bought it today it is used and was 450 I think it was a good deal seems to work ok have not installed it in my fire place yet the opening is larger then the insert is there anyone here that knows about these things like I said I'm a novice so any suggestions will help thank you on installation and operation I also brought a pallet of pellets from lows for 180 which seemed like a good deal

You'll have to fabricate an additional surround.

Installation should be done according to the instructions in the manual.

If I build up the brick bricks to close the chamber of the old fireplace some would that be ok and also venting out the fireplace chimney what kind of pipe should I use

Jmak135 said:
If I build up the brick bricks to close the chamber of the old fireplace some would that be ok and also venting out the fireplace chimney what kind of pipe should I use

The manual should address this and you need to read the entire manual before installing or using the stove.

You use double walled vent pipe certified for use with wood pellet stoves. There are a number of makers, and in your case you are likely going to be using a flexible liner.

The size of the vent piping is determined by various information in the manual and can vary from stove to stove.

ETA: Yes building out the existing brick work using more bricks is fine.

You should use flexible or rigid stainless steel - usually the same size as the flue collar of the stove.....sometimes one size up, depending on the stove and on the height of the chimney.

The pipe should go up through a sheet metal plate that you fab to seal the top of the fireplace tightly - there are instructions elsewhere on this site on how to make a plate - use the site search for Block off plate.

If you seal it well at the damper, then the panels are simply for style - it does not matter too much how they fit. There are lots of ways to make them right...if they are wide enough, but not high enough, you can set the unit on a layer of bricks, etc.....

What we used to do sometimes is use sheet metal painted black to make the opening smaller...that is, pieces with a bend fastened to the lintel and sides.

If you haven't already made it here, this guy gives a lot of cleaning and repair info:
http://www.butkus.org/whitfield_pellet_stove.htm

You will need an owners manual - they seem to be available for a low cost...if you get lucky, one of our members might have a PDF they'd send you for free.

This page:
http://tinyurl.com/68k72w5

has some discontinued whitfield models - no III, but maybe one of the others is very close (II-t?)

PM Dave Gault hearth.com member name Wood Heat Stoves provide him with the model and serial number and inquire about manuals.

He has helped several folks out by providing copies of service manuals.

Thank you so much for all the helpful info this should get me started. My wife thinks I'm nuts but she will be a beliver soon she is like WTF is with u and this pellet stove idea lol thanks again. She will be raving about it soon

Jmak135 said:
Thank you so much for all the helpful info this should get me started. My wife thinks I'm nuts but she will be a beliver soon she is like WTF is with u and this pellet stove idea lol thanks again. She will be raving about it soon

Either that or you'll be in the dog house big time. :zip:

Status
Not open for further replies.