New member questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griff8907

Nov 21, 2009
NE Indiana
im new to this forum and just have some questions to get started.i recently purchased a home with a Greenwood 100 located in my shop about 100' from my home. Right away i replaced my chimney which had already begun to rust thourgh after 1 season this will be the 2nd. i replaced it with double wall pipe to help with the draft problem i had. im wondering has anyone tapped into the damper motor to add a manual switch. the reason i would like to do this is because i work 12 hr shift and would like to be able to load in the mornings without have my shop smell like smoke all the time. Ive also thought about a draft inducer. my local smoke shop said that they werent designed very well and werent worth the money. maybe thats y they sold me a new chimney more money i guess. hahaha. im not completely new to the wood burning world but im not an expert and am open to all opinions. thanks for all your help in advance

I help my buddy install a Greenwood 100. We needed to add a draft inducer fan to even get close to the needed draft, however, I believe even with the draft fan he still does not have quite enough draft.

We added a power switch/timer the kind you twist to obtain so many minutes of draft. We also added a hydrostat to shut the unit off when the fuel is gone.

He recently took the time to find and seal up a couple of very small chimney pipe leaks. He was amazed that those small leaks gave a lot of smoke smell.

Welcome to the forum.

WW Graingers sells a draft inducer that works. It needs to go in a single wall chimney pipe though. You could possibly add this to the top. Another alternative & much more expensive is the larger draft inducers that go over the top of the chimney. Some of these are over $1000.00. Good luck, welcome, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.