New member. Resolute Acclaim stove pipe questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aejk

Jun 7, 2011
Mass
1st off, let me start off with the 2 typical Newbie disclaimers: I am an woodstove idiot and this is a great site. OK: I have a 1988 VC Resolute Acclaim in my vacation cabin. The stove pipe has to be replaced. It is a 9 foot straight run to ceiling box. The present set up is a 6" increaser at stove top to a 7" pipe. Question #1: should I stay with that set up, or go to a 6" pipe and put the increaser up at the connection to the chimney? #2 So that I can clean the pipe from inside, where is best to locate the slip pipe (Im willing to use a step ladder)? #3 I was going to buy HeatFab pipe, but their increaser has right angles that looks like it would be a shelf for creosote, vs. other manufacturers increasers which appear to be gradual--which pipe would people recommend? My last question pertains to the refractory material that I stupidly poked a couple of holes thru with a screw driver as I was cleaning stove after the pipe was removed--can I, or should I, fill the holes with anything? Thanks for any advice. I look forward to being part of this community.

I moved this to the regular hearth room because stove is EPA and the same model was made for quite a few years after 88.

As far as the pipe, a lot of that is up to you - personally, I would adapt at the chimney box, and run the 6" up to there. I would not worry about a stepped as opposed to an angled reducer....any ash which builds up on the 1/2" ledge would likely fall off under it's own weight. Heatfab is good pipe - I don't think you can go wrong using that. As far as a slip connector, ideally this would be the first piece down from the adapter.

If you poked small holes in the refractory, that should not matter if they are small. If they are larger, you can try to patch with a tiny bit of refractory cement or a tiny piece of stove gasket pushed into the hole, etc.

I agree with everything Craig just suggested. In regards to the holes made with the screwdriver...there are supposed to be a series of holes along the bottom there that need to be cleaned out. Are you sure those arent the holes your talking about?

Thanks for the reply and for the EPA information. Assuming that I didnt want to alter the existing 7" chimney connection--which would you recommend: increaser at stove and 7" pipe, OR 6" pipe and increaser at chimney connection? The draw seemed fine with the 7" pipe, though I admittedly have stupidly been running stove with rear damper always open; I clearly have a lot more to learn.

I just reread your response and now understand what you were trying to tell me; adaptor(increaser is a weird word) at the ceiling. I will follow your advice. Thanks for your bio photo; It makes me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.