New Member this is my wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new member and I want to say I really enjoy this forum. I have already spent hours reading post and I have learned so much about burning wood. I've only had a fireplace for two years. This is my wood pile. I cut, split and stacked everything by hand and by myself. This is my first post so I hope the pictures come out OK.
The wood was all split with a Sledge and Wedge and Maul and Axe. I used two chain saws. A 16 inch McCoulagh and 20 inch Homelite.

Attachments

• oaktreecut down.jpg
    oaktreecut down.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 882
  • woodpile.jpg
    woodpile.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 891
  • split1.jpg
    split1.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 876
Nice Welcome :zip:

woodsman23 said:
LOOK GRASS!!!!!!!! someone hold me.....

Yea, we get to see that even in the winter here in NC. Keeps us from going color blind.

Tony, where in NC are you. Anywhere near Charlotte?

Welcome
We love the great pictures
NICE Wood pile!
Green in the pictures ;-P
I post pics in the winter in black & white, that all we have this time of the year. :lol:

Nice looking woodpile. I havent seen anything green like that around here except for the huge salad I just ate 15 minutes ago.They say we'll have Spring in April or May eventually,sure hope they're right....

Looks good Tony and welcome to the forum.

Hey guys, the date on one picture has 11/1/10. A lot can happen between then and now. Still, it is nice even to see a picture of green grass.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I live in Deep Run, NC it's near Kinston, NC the biggest town that has a Walmart. We got about 3 inches of snow so far this year. It lasted 2 days on the roads and closed the schools for 3 days. It as been a very cold winter for us. I only burn my wood between about 5pm and 10pm. I close the fireplace doors and don't add anymore wood after 10pm. My fireplace has a blower fan built in and it adds a lot of warmth to the living room. I added a steel plate to the back of the fireplace last year to reflect heat. I found this forum Googling how to get more heat from my fireplace. I see I need to buy an insert but my budget won't allow that now. I'll just have to do what I am doing until I can afford an insert. I'm 63 years old so I'm proud that I have cut, split and stacked all this wood the old fashioned way by myself.

Tony

tonyespo said:
I am a new member and I want to say I really enjoy this forum. I have already spent hours reading post and I have learned so much about burning wood. I've only had a fireplace for two years. This is my wood pile. I cut, split and stacked everything by hand and by myself. This is my first post so I hope the pictures come out OK.
The wood was all split with a Sledge and Wedge and Maul and Axe. I used two chain saws. A 16 inch McCoulagh and 20 inch Homelite.

Espo looks great, is that oak?

Zap

zapny said:
tonyespo said:

Espo looks great, is that oak?

Zap

Yes, it is Oak but I'm not sure which oak. It's hard and very heavy. Once it dried, it split pretty easy except where the branches are, that part was real hard to split.

Whats that green stuff all over?

tonyespo said:
I see I need to buy an insert but my budget won't allow that now.

Tony

Just keep your ear to the ground- my chimney sweep put me onto a used insert that was 5 yrs old and I got it for a fraction of what a new one costs.

Nice wood pile Tony and welcome to the forum!

Ray

HardWoodW said:
tonyespo said:
I see I need to buy an insert but my budget won't allow that now.

Tony

Just keep your ear to the ground- my chimney sweep put me onto a used insert that was 5 yrs old and I got it for a fraction of what a new one costs.

Yea, you should be able to pick up an EPA cert stove in the $5-600 range if you aren't in a hurry. I got my 6 year old Buck 91 off of Craigslist for $500 but it took me about 4-5 months and several trips out to look at some that weren't what I was looking for. Charlotte is a much bigger area though but you can find one.

It is a great feeling to cut and split your own wood. Especially at our ages... 60 here. :grrr:

Welcome! Looks like you are headed in the right direction for sure. I just signed on back in the Fall and its a great place to learn and share information.

Help me out folks, what is the best way to dry and stack fresh wood, and for how long does it REALLY need to sit for???
I have an 1150P Napolean bought it last year and so far I'm ok with it I heats up my little cape very nice. however i havent figured out how to get through the night with out me spending time in the AM to get it going before I head out to the work field!! Thanks again Folks!!

Adios Pantalones said:
Welcome aboard Tonyespo. As a huge Bruins fan... I have to ask about your forum name...

phils brother right?

Hi Joey,

Your best bet is to browse around here and look at photos of folks' wood stacks. Some of 'em are straighter than the U S Marine Corps...

Maybe use the search block above for wood stack, woodpile, etc.

What I've learned is to season most woods at LEAST one year; oak, three years. Let it get lots of sun and wind, and don't cover the top until the last few months...

Nancy

Thanks for the advise Nancy!!! Will do just that !!! Enjoy the day !!!
Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.