New member trying to choose between Supervent or Superpro.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpAmSoNiTe

Mar 22, 2014
Jefferson, OH
Hi all,

My name is Sam and I've been burning slabwood(abundantly available in my rural NE ohio area) for about 4 years now in an old "Wondercoal" unit that my Father-In-Law installed back in the early 90's, with a clay-lined chimney that has fallen into serious disrepair(badly cracked clay thimble/liner). My wife and I have decided to replace it with a stainless chimney and a new stove(a DS Machine 110), and are kind of torn on weather to get the Supervent sold at lowes(and save around $150 or so), or get the Superpro offered from our local stove shop.

From all the various forum searching, the only real differance I could find was that the Superpro has a better quality Stainless(304 vs the 430 on the Supervent)... I was wondering if anyone who has had a Supervent chimney for a decent amount of years(5-10+) could help me out and let me know if they have had any rusting/pitting or any other issues with the supervent?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam.

Welcome. I think you will be fine with the Lowes piping. As long as it is used within specs, it should last many years. Not understanding why the switch from one coal stove to another though? Do you also burn coal? If not, switching to a modern EPA burner could save you some fuel.

I would recommend the supervent. I installed a supervent chimney at my old house about 8 years ago and it is still in as good a shape as when i put it in( my brother lives there now and also burns 24/7). I also helped my dad put one in his house and i put one in my cabin. It is very easy to install and it seems to hold up well. I wouldn't spend anymore money than you need to.

If you are planning on burning much coal at all make sure the liner is either 316 ti or 316 l or it will not last long at all.

Welcome. I think you will be fine with the Lowes piping. As long as it is used within specs, it should last many years. Not understanding why the switch from one coal stove to another though? Do you also burn coal? If not, switching to a modern EPA burner could save you some fuel.

Thanks for the replies all..

begreen, I like the option of anthricite(less than 200lbs a year) to get a little bit longer burn time(10+hours on my current, inefficient setup) when the temps drop close or below 0 here in NE Ohio. We've pretty much decided to go with the DS 110 because it's actually set up to burn wood and coal both, with a focus on wood(it's fully lined, longer than it is wider, and has reburn tubes at the top), and has a pretty big firebox(around 3.5 cu. ft.). We live in an area with a pretty good size Amish community and the locals seem to absolutely adore these stoves.. Seen the DS 75 in operation with wood and ecobricks, and it's an impressive, HEAVY, chunk of steel.

~Sam.

then absolutely check the alloy of the steel coal will burn through 304 in a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.